Quick message for all forum members - Please read

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/06/2005 2:40 am
Just a quick note to all forum members:

Please do not make the Open Discussion area your "default" posting area. There are a total of 16 forum sections. Please consider whether your thread would better belong in another section before posting it here. In fact, the Open Discussion area should be the last place you put a post, after having ruled out all other sections.

That means that band stories, questions about other artists, gear questions, tab requests, etc. should not be posted here.

Thanks a lot for your help... it makes our jobs as mods much easier if we be doing more important things than moving threads.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/06/2005 2:56 am
This is sad. Apart from this thread and the sticky with the forum rules, there are only 3 out of 9 threads on the first page that should be here. Are the different section's titles not clear enough? Personally, with the section's title, and the description below them, I find it pretty self explainitory. :confused:
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/06/2005 2:30 pm
This thread should have had more than 27 views by now. Especially considering that I've looked at it three times by now and we have 175,000 members, 83 being online at this very moment.

[/sarcasm]
# 3
rockonn91
rockonn91
12/06/2005 4:06 pm
i guess that its just because alot of exciting things happen in the Open Discussion forum.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 4
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
12/06/2005 4:09 pm
There's always one more idiot than you counted on.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 5
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
12/07/2005 1:52 am
In defense of people that post here, the open discussion subtitle also says, "Introduce yourself, meet people, talk about whatever you want."

Not, talk about whatever you want, if it doesn't belong somewhere else. I can see the theory threads and gear questions getting moved, but some of the other stuff shouldn't matter.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 6
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/07/2005 8:30 am
some of the things I don't even think should be moved.. like my post saying that I got mentioned in the guitar tricks newsletter, and that got moved to the "guitar tricks site" section... that wasn't even about guitar tricks, it was about me being featured in the newsletter... I can understand alot of the moved threads, but some of them just baffle me (this is the first time I've used the word "baffle" in a sentance)
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/07/2005 2:07 pm
The newsletter is part of the site. So, why would your post not fit for the "Guitar Tricks Site" section? :confused:

[QUOTE = Pantallica1]In defense of people that post here, the open discussion subtitle also says, "Introduce yourself, meet people, talk about whatever you want." Not, talk about whatever you want, if it doesn't belong somewhere else. I can see the theory threads and gear questions getting moved, but some of the other stuff shouldn't matter.[/QUOTE]
I've brought this up before, and agree that it is missleading.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/07/2005 3:03 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrssome of the things I don't even think should be moved.. like my post saying that I got mentioned in the guitar tricks newsletter, and that got moved to the "guitar tricks site" section... that wasn't even about guitar tricks, it was about me being featured in the newsletter... I can understand alot of the moved threads, but some of them just baffle me (this is the first time I've used the word "baffle" in a sentance)

Yeah, that was my mistake... it was late, and I can move things out of Open Discussion, but I can't move things in other sections. The amount of threads that incorrectly get posted to OD make it such that sometimes threads get moved based on their title and a cursory glance at the first post.

[/sarcasm]
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/07/2005 3:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Pantallica1In defense of people that post here, the open discussion subtitle also says, "Introduce yourself, meet people, talk about whatever you want."

Not, talk about whatever you want, if it doesn't belong somewhere else. I can see the theory threads and gear questions getting moved, but some of the other stuff shouldn't matter.

I think that it has more to do with Akira's explanation of people thinking that it'll get more views in OD than elsewhere. Also, I imagine a healthy dose of laziness in actually familiarizing themselves with what the other sections are for is involved.

If it really is "talk about whatever you want", then please tell me why Jon bothered to create 15 other forum sections?

[/sarcasm]
# 10
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/07/2005 3:16 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanIf it really is "talk about whatever you want", then please tell me why Jon bothered to create 15 other forum sections?

Well, you know how some people are. They may take the description "Introduce yourself, meet people, talk about whatever you want." very literally. Akira is right though. I've seen people specifically say that's why they posted in the OD after their thread was moved. I doubt many, if any, pay attention to the descriptions, but maybe it should read "If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here" or "Where everything else goes." Just a thought.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 11
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
12/09/2005 9:44 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanI think that it has more to do with Akira's explanation of people thinking that it'll get more views in OD than elsewhere. Also, I imagine a healthy dose of laziness in actually familiarizing themselves with what the other sections are for is involved.

If it really is "talk about whatever you want", then please tell me why Jon bothered to create 15 other forum sections?

I was just playing the devil's advocate there. I try to post my threads in appropriate sections, but the open section sees the most people, so when people want attention to their thread, they post it there. But, it does say talk about whatever you want, and I think that should be changed if that's not the way the open discussion is for.

I think the reason there is more sections is for people looking for particular things to look at. If I want to know something about a guitar, I'm not going to look in the open discussion, I'm gonna look in the gear sections. On the other hand, if I'm bored, I'm gonna read the open discussion to read all kinds of different things. If I want to listen to some people's music, I go to the listening post, and so on... see what I mean? Sometimes, it's hard to categorize a certain post too.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 12
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/10/2005 12:37 am
Originally Posted by: Pantallica1I was just playing the devil's advocate there. I try to post my threads in appropriate sections, but the open section sees the most people, so when people want attention to their thread, they post it there. But, it does say talk about whatever you want, and I think that should be changed if that's not the way the open discussion is for. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with you, your post just happened to be something that I wanted to respond to. Nothing personal, and it's not as if I've had a problem or even noticed that you post things in the wrong sections.

[QUOTE=Pantallica1]I think the reason there is more sections is for people looking for particular things to look at. If I want to know something about a guitar, I'm not going to look in the open discussion, I'm gonna look in the gear sections. On the other hand, if I'm bored, I'm gonna read the open discussion to read all kinds of different things. If I want to listen to some people's music, I go to the listening post, and so on... see what I mean? Sometimes, it's hard to categorize a certain post too.

Amen.

[/sarcasm]
# 13
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/10/2005 7:11 am
Perhaps this thread should be stickied.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 14
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
12/13/2005 1:44 am
Originally Posted by: HammurabiPerhaps this thread should be stickied.

I get the feeling it would end up being disregarded like the original rules of the forums thread. It's kind of a creature of habit thing.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.