HOLDING THE GUITAR

nyboy16
nyboy16
05/23/2001 7:48 pm
Hi, my name is Eugene.
I have an acoustic guitar which I have been playing on for 2 months! I was getting pretty good in tabs(fast speed, accurate, high quality).

Suddenly, I heard about power chords and other chords like E, G, C
I practiced and practiced until I got it perfect.

But..........when i tired playing regular tabs with power chords combined it didnt work...
It was too hard to switch fingers that fast and accurate.
Some songs are even impossible to play because my fingers didn't reach like 1st fret to 5th.

Holding the guitar is very IMPORTANT!
Right now im playing correctly....thumb pointing up in the middle of the neck. Wrist is almost flat...
Now, I have to learn all my songs over by playing them the correct way.

Would some one give me any suggestions? Am I holding it the right way....Should the neck be straight or tilted upward a little?

# 1
zepo
zepo
05/23/2001 10:01 pm
I have never seen a single person hold a guitar the same way as some one else, most of the time you will just have to experiment holding the guitar different ways until you find a position that you can play at comfortably. sorry about not being a huge help here but I hope I did help you in some way. Good luck.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 2
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
05/30/2001 4:35 pm
A lot of guys will tell you to hold it one way or another, but the basic rule of thumb is to hold it how it's most comfortable for you. Can you be more specific about the tabs and power chords? 1 to 5 is a big stretch...are you trying to play two guitar parts?
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.