"Driving" Under Influence

Willdridge
Willdridge
10/23/2005 12:53 am
So, to clarify, I'm currently a "little-bit-tipsy"...and I've just tried playing a song I managed to nail earlier today, but suddenly I find myself unable to manage it; however, I've also tried playing a solo I've played a thousand (or at least it seems that many) times before live, (where I've been more that just tipsy) and I've got it right first time...

My question is this:

Does anyone else find that your finger's are able to, to a certain degree (for argurement's sake let's call it four pints - it's not, but for argument's sake, eh?!), compensate for an amount of intoxication and simply take over?

Also, I've found that one hand is often more affected than t'other...for example, I can play "Crazy Train" 's rhythm perfectly, yet the actual notes don't seem to want to join in - yet if I play "Whiskey In Jar" 's solo, my left hand know's what's meant to be happening, but my right hand seem's to have gone AWOL...

I know the answer is to stay sober - I'm just curious as to why I can play certain things from "finger memory", yet other's just decided to take a holiday. Does anyone else experience this, or are you all tee-total and therefore don't have this issue?! :rolleyes:
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/23/2005 5:48 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Record this stuff now, and play it back when you're sober. You'll probably find that it's all ****e![/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/23/2005 9:59 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]Record this stuff now, and play it back when you're sober. You'll probably find that it's all ****e![/font]

Most of it sounded ****e when I was drunk - what's waiting to be sober going to do to help?! :p ;)

Although, I've played one or two gigs drunk and been told by band members (my bassist is tee-total, and, thinking about it, actually doesn't pay people compliments that often) and people in the audience it sounded pretty damn good. So, whilst I agree with you that most of it sounds like trying to play guitar with a spanner, certain things seem to elude the "drunken-finger-syndrome"...
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/23/2005 2:46 pm
Originally Posted by: Willdridge... most of it sounds like trying to play guitar with a spanner ...
[font=trebuchet ms]LOL, I should try that - I've been known to use drumsticks.[/font] ;)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/23/2005 2:51 pm
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]LOL, I should try that - I've been known to use drumsticks.[/font] ;)

Thinking about it, you probably could play with a spanner...bit of slide maybe, or the decisive percussion "thunk" to finish a song....hmmmm....I wonder..... :D
# 5
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/23/2005 7:00 pm
Oh man this is funny....

The folks in the audience probably think you sounded good drunk 'cause they can't even play themselves. I agree with Lord that you should record yourself when you are buzzed, and listen back to it the next day...or the day after that depending on how you feel...also, you have to remember that the audience has probably had a few pints as well, and are probably more concerned with the opposite sex than wether or not you nailed a certain solo. I know I like to play with a bit of a buzz on as well, and the only thing you can do to improve your playing in that condition is to play more often when you've been drinking....

That said, I thought I was pretty good at walking, but fell down just this last saturday night...go figure :cool:
# 6
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/23/2005 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: 3fingeredblues I know I like to play with a bit of a buzz on as well, and the only thing you can do to improve your playing in that condition is to play more often when you've been drinking....

That said, I thought I was pretty good at walking, but fell down just this last saturday night...go figure :cool:

I'm trying to think of a gig I haven't been wired for actually...hmmm....oh, there was one back in '99... ;)

But seriously, I think I will try recording myself next time I'm plastered, just to see how the reality differs from what I'm hearing in my head. If it's particular hilarious, I might even post it... :p
# 7
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
11/06/2005 3:49 am
Intoxicated guitarzation. One art I've yet to master.

Saturday night live is on in half an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 8
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/06/2005 4:06 am
Is it actually "live" this time?
Seems like every time it's on, it's a re-broadcast.
# 9
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
11/06/2005 8:56 pm
I have NOT had too much to drink. I will...*hiccup*...let u know when I've had too much. *hiccup*
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/07/2005 1:39 am
http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/mp3/DrinkDrive.mp3
# 11
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
11/08/2005 2:16 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeIs it actually "live" this time?
Seems like every time it's on, it's a re-broadcast.

Hmm *exagurated sigh* it was a clip episode. :( But lots of Will Ferrell-so I'm not bitter.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.