onstage tips

rawrockkills
rawrockkills
10/12/2005 11:56 pm
hey im gonna be playing at my schools talent show soon and i was hoping you guys could give me some onstage tips... whats visually and audibly exciting? oh and another question, which of these solos sounds better to the everyday non guitar player... Eruption or Eugene's Trickbag... or if there are any other solos that sound great it would be awesome if you told me :) but the solo cant be longer than a minute and a half... thanks :)
# 1
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
10/13/2005 12:31 am
I'd play Eruption, the tapping looks really fancy and complicated to non guitar players. As for the stage tips, when you play the tapping part get your strap setup as if you woulds play behind your back ( strap looped over left shoulder and arm only, not over your body ) and toss your pick into the audience (optional) and hold your guitar out to the side as if observing it and tap away!
This is just a flashy move for the audience, it works for me, good luck!
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 2
rawrockkills
rawrockkills
10/13/2005 12:34 am
Originally Posted by: Blues_ManI'd play Eruption, the tapping looks really fancy and complicated to non guitar players. As for the stage tips, when you play the tapping part get your strap setup as if you woulds play behind your back ( strap looped over left shoulder and arm only, not over your body ) and toss your pick into the audience (optional) and hold your guitar out to the side as if observing it and tap away!
This is just a flashy move for the audience, it works for me, good luck!

heheh how far would a pick fly though? and should i use a hard pick if id do it?
# 3
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
10/13/2005 1:53 am
hehehe, sharpen the end of the pick, it'll fly farther, might hurt someone,but fly farther! Im kidding, Blues_man does not endorse the sharpening, flying, and or throwing of any guitar picking materials, etc... :D naw, but id use a hard pick.
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 4
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/13/2005 7:58 pm
The golden rule of being on stage......Look like your having fun, even you aren't..
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 5
kill em all
kill em all
10/14/2005 1:47 am
I agree with jfrick. EVERYONE can tell that you're missing notes if you look like you're not having fun. Even though it was original material and they couldn't have possibly known the RIGHT notes. And be sure not to LOOK when someone else in the band makes a mistake, THEN it's obvious. If you look comfortable and keep on after mistakes giving the "nope, couldn't have been me, I don't make mistakes" look then the crowd will listen to the performance for what it is, Eruption, an awesome cover! SMILE AND JUMP AROUND!!
# 6
rawrockkills
rawrockkills
10/14/2005 1:58 am
awesome... so pretty much look happy have or look like your having fun. and go crazy.... :) will do man, oh and to whoever said that thing about eruption not appealing to non guitar players without another song... my whole band is playing and where all gonna play a song but after its done i'll wait for a little while cause i like to hear applause then ill go into eruption... :)
# 7
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/18/2005 8:27 pm
Originally Posted by: rawrockkillsawesome... so pretty much look happy have or look like your having fun. and go crazy.... :) will do man, oh and to whoever said that thing about eruption not appealing to non guitar players without another song... my whole band is playing and where all gonna play a song but after its done i'll wait for a little while cause i like to hear applause then ill go into eruption... :)[/QUOTE]

Could I make a suggestion? Try doing it the other way around....Start off with Eruption (asuming your band will let you!) and then go into the song...you'll grab people's attention then blow them away when the band kicks in...(if possible, get the song in the same key so everything can kick off without pausing - this is VERY effective on a non-guitarist audience).

Also, consider the intro to 'Am I Evil' by Metallica; perhaps not quite a flashy as Eruption, but has much the same impact.

[QUOTE=Blues_Man]Blues_man does not endorse the sharpening, flying, and or throwing of any guitar picking materials, etc... naw, but id use a hard pick.

I do - I do.......:p (Consider the possible lawsuits though before you decide -Hetfield and the infamous mike stand 'incident' spring to mind)...
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 8
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/20/2005 7:38 am
set your guitar on fire and smash it....and have the drummer blow up his bass drum while the singer does a stage dive....the bass player doesn't have to do anything 'cause the're allways boring anyways lol
# 9
drailmhs05
drailmhs05
10/22/2005 8:53 am
Originally Posted by: JFRICKThe golden rule of being on stage......Look like your having fun, even you aren't..

... golden rule continued- and for crying out loud dont let the audience know that ur scared **** less. they'll eat you up like a afternoon snack.
# 10
niccar113
niccar113
10/27/2005 2:26 am
go watch a bloodhound gang show... beer bong a whole bottle of gin onstage then throw up all over your bassist... those guys are great...
Pleasure.
# 11
Fretfire
Fretfire
11/16/2005 7:19 am
Before you begin a solo for your finale.....run and KICK your bass player and vocalist hard OFF the stage to the crowd without them knowing it....after you finish your solo....smash your guitar, get another one and continue your riff... then stage dive head first direct to the crowd . Make sure they catch you....if not .....Its Okey, it means they want some more :D .

If they dont catch you...go back to the stage immediately...burn your guitar and throw it to the crowd, thats a good reward to them for not catching you....after that Im sure your vocalist and bass player have recovered, they will head back on stage to put a fight with you and the crowd will surely love it...they get more of their money's worth. They were treated to an explosive concert and at the same time its like watching WWE Smackdown live!....after your vocalist and bassist have beaten you up....they will also throw you to the crowd, and they will mosh pit and slam on you for throwing them the burning guitar........... :rolleyes:

Next day you will be on the hospital unconscious with multiple fractures....But dont worry you are instantly an overnight superstar because you and your band is on the Major Tabloids Headline...... for putting up the most outrageous and explosive concert show of the year.
Guitarplaying is 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Perspiration... :)
# 12
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/17/2005 9:32 pm
wow, fretfire wins.

have you done this before? theres so much detail.... lol
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 13
Fretfire
Fretfire
11/18/2005 9:24 am
Originally Posted by: rockonn91wow, fretfire wins.

have you done this before? theres so much detail.... lol

nope...Im a peace loving guy....but ive seen something close to it. :D
Guitarplaying is 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Perspiration... :)
# 14
Armenian
Armenian
12/10/2005 4:49 am
throw your feces!
# 15
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
12/10/2005 11:37 pm
Act like your going to break the guitar on the ground, when you get a few inches away stop and look at te=he audience and smile as you shake your head no.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 16
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
12/11/2005 1:56 am
[QUOTE=3fingeredblues]set your guitar on fire and smash it....

doesnt that only work for Hendrix.......?im not sure, but last time i checked, it only worked for him...lol
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 17
aschleman
aschleman
12/13/2005 7:58 pm
by far the coolest thing i've ever seen on stage is when a local acoustic virtuoso (yes... he's an acoustic virtuoso) named michael kelsey broke a G string on stage (he planned it...) then pulled one out of his pocket and played the violin on his guitar while playing legato.... he kept singing the whole time... then he strung the string up... while playing the other 5 strings legato.... then tuned the string while he started to play all 6 strings together... then he did a little bit where he looped a riff and stretched the string.... while he sang "hold on just a little moment... i got to... i got to... stretch my string...." and he broke down in a one hand drum solo on his guitar while he plucked and stretched his string with the other hand... then tuned it up and broke into the rest of the song.... i've never seen anything like it. check out www.michaelkelsey.com. the guy is nuts. he won guitarmageddon in 2004 with an acoustic guitar...
# 18
rockonn91
rockonn91
12/15/2005 2:45 am
Originally Posted by: elklanderccAct like your going to break the guitar on the ground, when you get a few inches away stop and look at te=he audience and smile as you shake your head no.

haha i actually did that once kinda. it was at a small little gig, i took my guitar at the end of the song, unplugged it, ran out twards the people and acted like i was about to smack one of them across the face with it. but stopped like 3 inches before. it was great :p
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 19
Armenian
Armenian
12/15/2005 10:52 pm
and dangerous...

wtf did aschleman say?
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.