Strat tuning problems

Blues_Man
Blues_Man
09/24/2005 5:25 pm
Lately I've been having some really messed up tuning problems. When I get it in tune and bend a note or use the trem it just goes straight out of tune. I think it is because the strings are getting caught up on the nut, because when I bend a note it pulls the string back but its not sliding back so it goes flat. I think im going to put some lubricant on it and see if it helps,but dont want to screw anything up. has this happened to anyone? any suggestions on how to fix it?
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 1
baci
baci
09/24/2005 6:05 pm
I read somewhere that Graphite put into the grooves of the nut can help, im not a strat user so not had chance to try and test it, You may wanna check up before you do so though i could be wrong! :)
# 2
Giantpeach
Giantpeach
09/26/2005 5:35 am
I use graphite powder on my strat. It works, as in, it helps a tiny bit I suppose. And I use the whammy bar, and bend strings all the time. I have heard graphite is the best remedy from many guitarists. I've also heard to use oil. Jimi Hendrix used some kind of hair oil on his strings. But we all know how good he was at staying it tune.....

But from my experience it has a lot more to do with the age of the strings. After a week or two the strings start to go out of tune. Especially when you abuse them. While I'm on strings, when you put a new set on, it also helps to stretch them. String the guitar and get it in tune. Then pull each string away from the neck a few inches and hold it for 10 or 20 seconds. This helps to keep it in tune right after stringing the guitar. Like, if you are at a show, or you just don't like re-tuning for two days everytime you pick it up.

Another thought: It could just be your guitar. Fenders are notorious for going out of tune. But some are worse than others. Personally I wouldn't recommend a Fender. But I would recommend a GOOD Fender. I play one almost exclusively, and personally I think the tone is worth the sweat to keep it in tune.
# 3
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
09/26/2005 11:48 pm
Originally Posted by: Giantpeach It could just be your guitar. Fenders are notorious for going out of tune. But some are worse than others. Personally I wouldn't recommend a Fender. But I would recommend a GOOD Fender.

I play an american strat, when i tune it, it has stayed in perfect tune for the past 2 years. The problem was the nut was sticky. So I put a little string oil on.
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 4
gogogo
gogogo
09/27/2005 12:13 am
Make absolutely sure it's not your strings. Graphite is probably the most popular remedy for this kind of problem...if that doesnt work consider taking it in to your local guitar shop before trying n e thing drastic ;) .
# 5
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
10/03/2005 10:02 pm
ya, graphite u can just go in with a pencil, lolk its got graphite, its hapnd 2 my mexican strat once
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.