View post (Compositional rock songs...)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
05/16/2001 1:07 am
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
I think the trick is to keep making variations on parts, and to tell a good story with the lyrics. Play something people can relate to. I think the biggest problem with making long songs is that radio stations are hesitant to play them, especially full length versions.

With creating "a compositional song", a lot of bands get lazy toward the end, where they think that the rest of the parts will tie everything together, but to some extent the beginning is just as important as the end. I think some of the best compositional songs are written straight through, (very impulsive), Jimmy Page is a great example of someone who plays from the heart, and Ive always admired how he was able to belt out such a classic solo for "Stairway To Heaven" in a matter of minutes. Sometimes when writing music you just have to be willing to let yourself go, and trust your instincts, otherwise your project just might take a turn for the worst. The hardest thing with writing a compositional song is sticking to the original idea, (through the process of perfection we tend to shy away from what we originally had in store. Its almost like baking a cake, without the right ingrediants, its just not going to taste as good.

I was very happy that the radio stations supported "November Rain," because its such a gr4eat soing and the worlkd was meant to hear it. I think this song open up the doors for a brand new audience for Guns N Roses...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."