View post (Offensive language)

View thread

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/19/2005 4:23 pm
Originally Posted by: t_shirtsnjeansWords aren't just words. They have an impact. And if the 'words are just words' then why call them 'profane'? Also, when you train your dog on just 'word' commands and you say 'KILL' or 'ATTACK' as the dog is trained will it do as told due to mere 'words'?
Profanity uses empty worthless words. If you call someone a 'f'ing idiot' are they really an idiot who 'f's? Hmm, ok, that would be descriptive, but would it be a slam?
Totally pointless to use profanity. It takes a little more brain power to avoid those words instead of 'like' this and 'like' that like I know like when like I was in like school and like it was like cool to like 'like' someone without like really loving them and like they'd go like to parties and like be cool ya know, like how would you like like it if like they like acted like you?

Go ahead and use profanity, it'll make you like look like the idiot like that uses other like useless like words.

Hold the phone here. Profanity doesn't make people look like the idiot. You might look like a jackass if you go into a nursery and tell all the kids Carlin's 7 dirty words. But that's still different since you're violating other peoples' right to moderate what their kids hear. As an adult I am capable of deciding what I say and I have no problem with cleaning my mouth up if it's needed (like at work or some formal situation). But if you catch me when I'm just kicking back at home then you're going to hear verbal filth. Why use the words? Why not? I always find it more pompous of another person to belittle others and assume they're idiots because of their personal use of rhetorics. Especially in an informal situation. If you don't want to use profanity then that's fine. I support your decision to do what you feel is right for you. If you prefer to be in a profanity clean environment then I still support you. But if you think I lack worth while thoughts and knowledge because I use profanity then I disagree.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.