View post (Offensive language)

View thread

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/19/2005 3:25 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnewhat if that mindset makes you lose the point of a very powerful conversation? what makes any variety of profane words different from any other words, other than the fact they show a severe emphasis on a certain thing?

once upon a time, compound words and conjunctions were improper. "don't," "aren't," "can't" were and in some circles still are considered improper english, yet every dignitary from every english speaking country uses them, you hear them at a country club, etc. Ten years ago, "bitch" was considered a bad word, now it's accepted in the mainstream.

And it will only be a matter of time until words that begin with "S" and/or "F" also become mainstream and will then be replaced by other words. I can think of one that begins with a "C" that seems to be offending a number of people.

I'm similar to Jolly on the notion that when I write lyrically or poetically 95% of the time I don't use a single shred of profanity. Every so often I'll come across a song that has a topic that is welcoming, but I prefer to not be obscene in lyrics. Casual talk is completely different though. I don't care about that. It's not formal and if someone seems to think that I must not have anything worth while to say because there's profanity involved then... well, sure, I'll let them have that point if it means they're going to leave me alone.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.