What would you consider as universal music - music that everyone(most people) like

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/29/2001 9:57 pm
I reckon Carlos Santana definitely and eric Clapton and David Gray who isn well known in America but you might know Babylon from last year. Ive noticed that my brother whos into rap and all that **** and my ma both are fans of all of the above. Just wondering. Oh and john lennon I know very fewq people who doubt his genius.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 1
Joseph
Joseph
04/30/2001 3:06 am
The Beatles, its safe to say that really don't know that may people who haven't been effected by their music in some shape or form. Even the youngsters of today, they can't deny how good their songs are, and these guys were totally into their music where they gave 100 percent with every album. This band showed the world what creativity was all about, and they showed the world how far you could go as aband if you just were willing to believe in yourself. I think people are attracted for the Beatles for many reasons, and once they put those headphones on for the first and experience their music, its hard to walk away.

I like David Gray, but I'm surprised that most people I know really aren't into his stuff, but his songs are very personal and rather passionate. Their arent mant musicians who put their heart and soul into their songs. And with Santana, there arent many guitar who can speak to you in many ways with every note, and th every sound...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 2
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/30/2001 5:50 am
I would like to think that Bob Dylan was such an artist, because he is the best (over confident and incredibly subjective opinion, it wasn't entirely without irony), but he isn't. I don't really think anyone is, I know people who hate the Beatles, I know those who won't listen to rock music of any sort.
I would also like to think that Bach would be another one, but most classical music, especially his, is too intellectual for many.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 3
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/30/2001 5:54 am
Note that when I say intellectual I am not suggesting that people who don't like him are stupid, perhaps cerebral would be a better word.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 4
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/30/2001 8:46 am
I cant stand the beatles. my mum has every ablum and they all sound exactly the same, no variety. Just cheesey pop songs with no musical talent, a bunch of big smiling girls with sensible shoes and neat little hair cuts, god i cant stand them!!!
Ok, songs everyone likes....
TEENAGE DIRTBAG by WHEATUS!! All my mates love that.
SWEET CHILD O MINE!! C'mon! thats a classic pub juke box tune that everyone likes.
Artists...
Everyone likes Bod Dylan, whether they know it or not.
Everyone WOULD like Aerosmith if they knew them well enough,

L8r Axl :)
# 5
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/30/2001 10:32 am
Actually, though I have to entirely disagree with you about the Beatles (I love them), your comment about Teenage dirtbag was surprisingly right. I don't know any of my friends who don't like that song, it is a pop tune that has reached even the most cynical minded of my associates. However, I have a feeling that if I heard it many more times I would scream and want to kill everyone in the room with a chainsaw. And I don't think my grandad would like it.
# 6

05/01/2001 12:31 am
I think I would have to disagree with most of you guys. Music that is universally loved (that is, loved all over the world by all ages, cultures, etc.) probably isn't going to be a rock song or anything that stems from western culture. I'm not sure to many Arabs would be sitting around listening to a beatles song, no matter how great. I think the only music that is truly universal is music that is void of any cultural connotations (lyrics definatly would fall into that category). What comes to mind is classical forms of music. But even that is based on western culture, what about Indians who have completely different scales (they probably think our 7 note chromatic scale sounds fruity as we think their 22 one does).

I think true universal "music" is something like wind blowing through trees or thunder crashing, or waves hitting the coast. Natural sounds that trascend political and cultural boundaries. Just my thought
# 7
Joseph
Joseph
05/01/2001 4:18 am
Originally posted by James
Natural sounds that trascend political and cultural boundaries. Just my thought [/B]

For a lot of people music is a part of a healing process, a form of meditation that began years ago. And just some of the subtle arrangements that were created years ago, are used in various forms of entertainment right before us, we just hardly ever choose to ackowledge where it all came from. Regardless on whether or not we camn sit through an entire symphony of Bach, or the Indians war cry, there are hidden key elements that express emotions that a lot of us aren't prepared to deal with..You know, when we think of (universial) music we think of what has been presented to us in the form of mainstream rock, stuff whoich our parents and friemds have familiarized us with, but it didn't just come out of nowhere, I mean everyone has their place in history. Music goes in cycles, and we forget at times that the main components that put together our favorite songs began many years ago.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 8
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
05/02/2001 9:14 pm
Originally posted by Axl_Rose
I cant stand the beatles. my mum has every ablum and they all sound exactly the same, no variety. Just cheesey pop songs with no musical talent, a bunch of big smiling girls with sensible shoes and neat little hair cuts, god i cant stand them!!!

Ok, songs everyone likes....
TEENAGE DIRTBAG by WHEATUS!! All my mates love that.

L8r Axl :)

First off dont criticise the beatles. Some of their songs may of been cheesy (Yellow Submarine) and some may have been crap (I Am The Walrus - one of the worst songs ever) but any of Harrisons stuff (While my Guitar gently Weeps, Sometimes) and the later stuff (All You Need Is Love, The Long And Winding Road) are classics plus all of John lennons solo stuff (Imagine, Working Class hero, Woman) anyone who doubts that genius has a problem. And Teenage Dirtbag, that is such a gay song I thought that was a girl singing it first time I heard it. Apart from the acoustic part it is all crap so dont talk about cheesy pop songs.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 9
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
05/02/2001 10:36 pm
Oh here we have a guy insecure bout his sexuality!! The song is fun and groovey, so it doesnt have a fast drum beat of thrashing guitars, but neither does Sweet Child O Mine. If you call it gay then i guess your also the kinda gay who feels uneasy when "Lady in Red" is playing. Dirtbag arouses certain taboo emotions huh? Love? pain? The ability to like a sweet, perhaps girly but not gay, song!!
Jeez,

Later AXL
# 10
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/03/2001 2:58 am
Now, it sems that moderators can ban swearing and such like from this message board, what about homophobic nonsense? Gayness has nothing to do with skill, it is widely thought that Shakespeare was gay, Michelangelo was gay, and so was Leonardo. The other two ninja turtles I'm not sure about. Anyway, I'm sick of people using gay as an insult. If someone sings high, they are not necessarily gay, and if someone is gay, they are not a bad person. Just learn some sensitivity for anyone on this board who might be offended by such things.
# 11

05/03/2001 5:01 pm
I agree completely bard. It's sad that it has become a common insult. It really lowers my opinion of those who use it.
# 12
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
05/03/2001 6:41 pm
Lmao @ Bardsley and the tmnt remark. Being gay has nothing to do with talent and or ability, freddie mercury was a bi-sexual and i dig his stuff so much that i can't even express in words how i feel every time i hear one of queen's joint.
"Take my hand boss"
# 13
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
05/03/2001 8:15 pm
AGHHH!!!! I meant "the kinda guy******* who feels uneasy" my whole point was that it wasnt right to call a song gay!! please believe me!!! The reason i say that is cos some of my guy** friends cant listen to emotional songs without getting embarassed!!!!!!!
AGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Later Axl

PS. if u swap the word guy with gay as i meant u'll see it reads more sensibly, as i intended!!!!
# 14

05/03/2001 8:17 pm
A lot of rock stars are bi. What about Mick Jagger? He was flamboyantly gay. I even heard once that he was caught in bed with David Bowie. Go figure.
# 15
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/03/2001 11:11 pm
Actually, sorry Axl, I didn't really mean you, as you were simply replying to Led Zeppelin's post, which was what I was also commenting on. I relised after I had written it that you might have thought I was talking to you.
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.