View post (Open heart guitar surgery!)

View thread

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
05/13/2005 9:45 am

well, that was the best I could do at trying to make a wiring diagram... sorry, it's really crappy... perhaps no help at all... but... my guitar is buzzing, but I noticed something, when I have the volume at 10, and the tone at 0, there is no buzz, and the higher I have my tone knob, the more buzz I've got, and the less volume I have, the more buzz I've got (the buzz reaches a peak at about 3 or 4 on the volume knob) and also, it seems that I get a sort of popping noise when I touch the tone knob... not the top of it, but the sides... this seemed strange to me since the knob is made out of plastic...

I was reading up on grounding/sheilding, and it looks as though my guitar alread has a silverish color foil underneath the pots and pickup switch... yet, I'm still getting lots of hum... so when I looked 'under the hood' I find lots of wires... probably more then there should be... and it looks as though I've got ground loops...

there is one other thing that struck me as odd though... that there were several wires soldered together in mid-air! (left side of the diagram) is that normal? anyways, I have a strat type (front loaded) guitar, so, that's supposed to make this all easier... but... I just want to know what I'm doing before I start doing it... cause I know nothing about electronics at all... PLEASE HELP!!!
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace