Guitar V.S. Bass

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/30/2005 7:22 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrswhen you are at home, playing by yourself... bass has got to be no fun... cause 90% of the time in songs they just play a few notes... so... how would that be more entertaining then playing a blazing fast lead on a guitar?

Or you could play Red Hot Chili Peppers, Primus, Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm, Iron Maiden, Fishbone, or Bela Fleck and the Flecktones basslines
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/30/2005 4:13 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonOr you could play Red Hot Chili Peppers, Primus, Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm, Iron Maiden, Fishbone, or Bela Fleck and the Flecktones basslines

That list needs Streetlight Manifesto.

Even a lot of bands without "monster" bassists have great basslines.

Less Than Jake, 7 Year B*tch, Stone Temple Pilots and The Gits all come to mind.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Re2point0
Re2point0
04/30/2005 6:23 pm
I first off wanted to play bass, but then my dad talked me into guitar, and I'm glad he did. I think of bass as more of a percissive string instrument
# 3
alucard0941
alucard0941
04/30/2005 10:00 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsdonatello would totally play bass. michelanglo would play drums. leonardo on guitar. and rafael for vocals....

sorry... this was a question for jolly... I'll let him answer it himself...

naa man, michelanglo would have to play guitar.

this evil twin Micheal Angelo Batio plays guitar :cool:
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 4
kingfish45
kingfish45
04/30/2005 10:36 pm
I played guitar for 20 yrs in local bands, then stopped to raise my kids. A church was starting a contemporary praise band and asked me if I would play bass. I only knew very basic stuff about bass but I decided to give it a try. I studied bass tips of web sites, bought books and videos. A bass player has to keep moving, doing scales and riffs, all the time or it will sound amateurish. I learned TONS of things to do on bass. I was a bass playing fool. Then the guitarist quit with no notice and I had to switch back to guitar. Guess what? After four years of bass, I found that everything I had learned on bass transferred to guitar and has made be a better player. So learn both.
# 5
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/01/2005 1:07 am
"Its all about bass and drums" said the guitarist who couldn't solo.I remember hearing that and shuddering...well,what can you expect from a rap core band.

I have to say this about bass...if you have two people play the same line and one has been playing years longer than the other,it dosn't show much...but,if you have two guitarists play a riff and one has many years on the other,it shines through.While bass can be a very creative instrument,it isn't as expressive as guitar...IMO.Both good to know though,as stated before.
Try once,fail twice...
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/01/2005 3:28 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartI have to say this about bass...if you have two people play the same line and one has been playing years longer than the other,it dosn't show much...but,if you have two guitarists play a riff and one has many years on the other,it shines through.While bass can be a very creative instrument,it isn't as expressive as guitar...IMO.Both good to know though,as stated before.

Maybe it's because it's what I do, but I have no trouble at all telling the guys who've been playing for years from the guys who haven't. There is a precision and efficiency of movement that only comes with experience.

Also, how is bass less expressive? Guitars don't do anything basses can't (and in fact, a friend of mine (one of the best guitarists I've ever known), described my fretless as "the most expressive thing" he'd ever played).

I think you're confusing human-imposed limitations for limitations in the instrument itself.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/01/2005 4:04 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovMaybe it's because it's what I do, but I have no trouble at all telling the guys who've been playing for years from the guys who haven't. There is a precision and efficiency of movement that only comes with experience.

Also, how is bass less expressive? Guitars don't do anything basses can't (and in fact, a friend of mine (one of the best guitarists I've ever known), described my fretless as "the most expressive thing" he'd ever played).

I think you're confusing human-imposed limitations for limitations in the instrument itself.

Mabey I should have said it depends as far as that side by side scenario goes.Precision/accuracy e.c.t will only shine through on more extensive or complicated playing(for bass)where a seasoned guitarists skill will be audible through the most simplistic riff.

or mabey ive just known crappy players(while ive been made fun for using a pick :confused: I have run circles around every 'bass player' ive encounterd...except one..I couldn't touch his slap/pop skill)

How is bass less expressive?I should really first turn the tables and say guitar can do everything bass can do and more.I don't think I need to explain why bass can't sound like a guitar(well,not sounding good in the process anyway).The way bass is implemented in most music(keep in time with the kick)discourages expressive playing.The bass is itself not designed as a solo instrument...it can be used as one,but that is far and in between...
Try once,fail twice...
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/01/2005 6:24 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartI should really first turn the tables and say guitar can do everything bass can do and more.

Name one thing.

So far, I'm more convinced that you're talking about what people do with it rather than what people could do with it.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/01/2005 7:03 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartMabey I should have said it depends as far as that side by side scenario goes.Precision/accuracy e.c.t will only shine through on more extensive or complicated playing(for bass)where a seasoned guitarists skill will be audible through the most simplistic riff.

Simply not true. As with guitar, an accomplished bass player's riff will sound better than the same riff played by a novice.

How is bass less expressive?I should really first turn the tables and say guitar can do everything bass can do and more.

False.

I don't think I need to explain why bass can't sound like a guitar(well,not sounding good in the process anyway).

Well, I guess you can't play a 13th chord on it without sounding like ass...but that's about it.

The way bass is implemented in most music(keep in time with the kick)discourages expressive playing.

AC/DC, Pop-punk, and The White Stripes don't exactly have good bassists.

The bass is itself not designed as a solo instrument...it can be used as one,but that is far and in between...

And holding down the groove of a song as a bass does isn't expressive?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 10
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/01/2005 7:17 am
heres a link to some convincing video...its the bobby guy near the bottom of the page,video file 2

http://zacharyguitars.com/VideoFiles.htm

While some of what he does is crud,he does a great bass 'impression'.

Oh and you can play great chord progressions alone in the subway with your case opened without sounding ridiculous(though it would be fun to see claypool popping and tapping while mummbling some stuff out while waiting for a train).
Try once,fail twice...
# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/01/2005 7:40 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartheres a link to some convincing video...

What have I just been convinced of?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 12
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/01/2005 7:44 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonSimply not true. As with guitar, an accomplished bass player's riff will sound better than the same riff played by a novice.

Its been my experience anyway.And again,it depends.

False.

Thanks for that absolute fact.Why exactly?

Well, I guess you can't play a 13th chord on it without sounding like ass...but that's about it.

There is quite a bit you can't do without a bassist ripping his instrument from your arms so he can keep what dignity he has left in the instrument.

AC/DC, Pop-punk, and The White Stripes don't exactly have good bassists.

I don't recall mentioning any of them...pop-punk...hmmm...ever hear matt freeman from rancid?He breaks out of the box and carrys many of the songs melodies with the bass(like the song "radio" for instance)and he busts out a solo on a few songs too.

And holding down the groove of a song as a bass does isn't expressive?

Not really...unless the groove was created by the bassist.Your limited when your instrument is the backbone(a nice way of saying backround).Even when its brought to the front,it dosn't carry the same weight or emotional impact that guitar does...for me at least.
Try once,fail twice...
# 13
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/01/2005 7:49 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonWhat have I just been convinced of?

That you can stay regular with the use of metamucil???
Try once,fail twice...
# 14
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/01/2005 7:49 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartIts been my experience anyway.

Perhaps you should work on training your musical ear.

Thanks for that absolute fact.Why exactly?

Because you've yet to show me why the bass is incapable of doing everything a guitar can.

There is quite a bit you can't do without a bassist ripping his instrument from your arms so he can keep what dignity he has left in the instrument.

What?

I don't recall mentioning any of them...pop-punk...hmmm...ever hear matt freeman from rancid?He breaks out of the box and carrys many of the songs melodies with the bass(like the song "radio" for instance)and he busts out a solo on a few songs too.

Ever hear of "Rancid's not pop-punk?" Thanks for providing an example of an expressive bassist. In fact, they are very common in music, as the ideal band has their best musician on bass.

Not really...unless the groove was created by the bassist.Your limited when your instrument is the backbone(a nice way of saying backround).Even when its brought to the front,it dosn't carry the same weight or emotional impact that guitar does...for me at least.

Try listening to some of your favorite songs without the bass. Especially in the realm of Jazz.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 15
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/01/2005 8:20 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonPerhaps you should work on training your musical ear.

My ears are fine."ba-da-ba-bum" can only have so much "expressivness" put into it before you permanatly contort your face and do a twirl for each note.A amatuer and a pro on the same equipment(I.E me to a bassist)playing a simple line will yield a near inaudible difference(slight differences in attack,but by the 3rd time around,there is no difference).

Because you've yet to show me why the bass is incapable of doing everything a guitar can.

True...do you have any video showcasing a bassist using his bass like a guitar successfully?

Ever hear of "Rancid's not pop-punk?"

depends on who you ask...well,sellouts are a more likely response.

Thanks for providing an example of an expressive bassist.

I wouldn't call any of that expressive...he simply gets out of the 'cage' on a few songs to pick up where the rest of the band fails(+1 for all bassists!)

In fact, they are very common in music, as the ideal band has their best musician on bass.

their best?You sure?Many times its the "guy who wasn't very good at guitar" who fills in on bass lol.The "ideal" band(everyone has different ideas of an ideal band)is a band where everyone is equally talented at what they do.

Try listening to some of your favorite songs without the bass. Especially in the realm of Jazz.

Oh,I know.I'm not arguing that bass isn't needed or anything.
Try once,fail twice...
# 16
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/01/2005 4:48 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartOh and you can play great chord progressions alone in the subway with your case opened without sounding ridiculous

Maybe you can't do that on a bass...
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17
alucard0941
alucard0941
05/01/2005 5:24 pm
man you guys should join the debate team.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 18
ake
ake
05/01/2005 6:51 pm
The bass and six strings have different roles to play in the music. It's not a better or worse situation. As I have said over and over; Music is not a competition sport its ART. When it comes down to im' way faster than You or
Can't you play anything other than power chords. It sounds like school yard fussin' The MEN I play with all realize "we're in this thing together" and we keep the petty BS out of the studio. If you'r ego is so big that you have to rag on players that may not be as technically profescient as you or may not have you'r experience; don't be to surprised when you are left wankin alone.
When we audution new personel; If you come in with ANY attitude or arrogance; we don't care how good you can play, don't even take your ax out
of the case. We can't use you!!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 19
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/01/2005 7:36 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovMaybe you can't do that on a bass...

No,I won't because the bass cannot transfer subtle articulations as well as guitar can.Where is Lordathastrings to talk about frequencies and such?
Try once,fail twice...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.