View post (hmm, what should I do?)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/06/2005 5:02 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsok, come on!!! I gotta bump it again, cause no one has answered my questions about writing solos!

Look, tab out all of the chords you use and you've got a scale -- maybe you'll have to focus on different parts of it over certain chords, but the chords you're playing are the basis of what you're going to be able to use in a solo.

From there, it's figuring out what's going to sound good over that and constructing something from there. You're going to have to experiment to figure out what it is, though because all of the theory in the world will only give you a framework of what you can do, not what you should do.

The thing to do is to record the chord progression you want the solo to go to into your computer, set it on repeat and work on it until you've got something. Just bear in mind that you're going to be doing this by yourself and that if it doesn't sound good by itself, you should probably save it for later and just worry on the chords and vocals (if you're doing any).
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons