Bob Dylan

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/09/2001 10:57 pm
Theres alot of mixed feelin about Bob Dylan around here so Im opening this get some extended viewpoints.

Personally I think hes the best songwriter and lyricist ever one of the best anyway along with Don McLean and John lennon. And Joni Mitchell. People say hes past it yet they conveniantly forget that he just won an oscar 2 weeks ago (Things have Changed - great song). He was never the greatest singer but who is these days? Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton arennt exactly Frank Sinatra either but are still regarded as some of the greatest musicians ever.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 1
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/10/2001 11:20 pm
Bob Dylan was a great songwriter. He captured the feelings of a generation, along with Jimi Hendrix. Nothing more to say.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 2
The Ferret
The Ferret
04/19/2001 11:05 am
Don't hate me, but I've never been a Dylan fan. I just never liked that style of music (folk rock), can't stand his voice, and really, I just don't get the whole Dylan mystique. Sorry.:(
# 3
maser
maser
04/19/2001 1:19 pm
While I like the style of Bob Dylan, I prefer to listen to Neil Young. Excellent songwriter/singer! I know if I had a chance at the Big Time, Neil Young would definatly have a few credits on my albums.

Mai Zure - So overdriven, he sh*ts distortion
# 4
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/22/2001 2:02 am
Bob Dylan is the greatest. I can't believe I wasn't the one that started a thread like this, considering how I put him on my list of favourite singers, lol. The thing is, he isn't just a spokesman for a generation of the 60's, he is a great rock musician of the 90's and beyond as well. In fact, not that Grammy's really count for anything, but his last album won best Album, plus he got best hard rock vocals which makes me laugh. I went to see him in concert last month and i almost cried, he was just so good. Sure his voice is not conventionally good, but I love it, he manages to get so much life in it. As for his songwriting, just too good. It is amazing that someone can do a 19 song show of pretty much nothing but classics from the 60's until now, yet still not include any songs from Blood on the Tracks and only one from Blonde on Blonde, two of the best Albums ever made by anyone. Well, I've said enogh, needless to say I like him. I love Neil Young too, and they both admire each other. "I'm listening to Neil Young, I got to turn up the sound, someone's always yellin at me to turn it down" (Highlands, Time Out of Mind). Hehehe.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 5
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/27/2001 8:59 pm
Yeah Bob Dylan and Neil Young & Crazyhorse are playing here in the next couple of months. I dont know whether to go or not. The Bob Dylan is on at the other side of the country and the Neil Young concert is on during my exams so Im still thinking about it.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 6
howie50
howie50
04/29/2001 6:50 pm
I like Neil Young and The Horse, you can't put Neil in the same bracket as Bob Dylan though, Dylan is a true only comes along once in a lifetime genius. I went to see him last year and was surprised to see not only oldies like me but many thousands of young people (that's undr 25's to me). Bob was great and his band were too. If you're under say 30 and you have'nt heard much dylan just buy his 2 best of CD's that's all you'll need to start you off. Don't spook the horse though !
It takes 3 chords, 2 fingers and one asshole to play rock'n'roll
# 7
Joseph
Joseph
04/30/2001 3:25 am
I think what attracted so many people to his music is that he was just a regular down to earth guy who focused primarily on his songs (and not his overall image. He wrote songs that appealed to just about anyone, and his songs are interesting to listen to. Its almost like hes giving you his perspective on life, (very natural and very sincere. Yes, hes a great lyrist, and for any musician its important to check out his stuff, you just might learn a trick or two about how to reach out to people, and about feeling comfortable with yourself. Dylan is he type of guy who you would like to have over for a cup of tea, a very down to earth guy who loves music, and still throughout his traditional approach he always finds a way to surprise you...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 8
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/30/2001 5:46 am
Hmm, as I said, I adore Dylan, but I'm not sure I agree Joseph. What was interesting about Dylan was that he cultivated his image very shrewdly, along with his manager Al Grossman. It is well documented that he lied about his upbrtinging in order to romanticise his life to be more like his idol's, Woody Guthrie. Similarly, though I love his rock music, I think it was more than just a musical decision...
Also, after having signed his record deal, most of his friends admit that he was always extremely arrogant, always assuming that he would be huge.
Rather than get upset by this, I admire his openness. For people to say that you only need to be passionate about music is one thing. To think that anyone who has made it as a rock star hasn't been hugely ambitious is I think untrue. I have a feeling Kurt Cobain was an exeption to soem extent, he wasn't after the stardom that his music brought, and that is why he is no longer with us. For others, I think it is a mix of ambition and love of music. For those who have only ambition, they are people everybody hates, and the people who love only music are the people who we always wonderr why they didn't "make it". DOes anybody get what I'm saying, because I get the feeling I am rambling.
As for having him around for tea, I would love to, as long as he didn't treat me as he does some of his interviewers.

"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 9

05/01/2001 12:25 am
I get what your saying bard and I think you're quite right. And the bibliographic info you gave on him is very correct...

As for having him for tea, who would possibly be more interesting? Although he's so perma-mellowed from the pot it might be hard to have a logical conversation with him...
# 10
Faikis
Faikis
05/11/2001 5:37 pm
Just wanted to say that my signature song is " Don't Think Twice it's Alright ". I play that everywhere I go and people just can't get enough of it. One of the best melodies ever.
# 11
MaxMcD
MaxMcD
05/17/2001 4:27 pm
Everybody must get stoned!!!:)
Max McDougall
# 12
James Hetfield Is Jesus
James Hetfield Is Jesus
05/18/2001 2:38 am
thats a good song.

JAMES HETFIELD IS JESUS
# 13
Crazy Karen
Crazy Karen
05/25/2001 6:15 am
My favourite Dylan song is "Just like a woman" it is the most honest song I have heard.

Also, who couldn't like the hurricane? Dylan stood up and made a song that was completely against everything whites believed in at that time and he didn't care what they thought!

He's a champ!
IS WHAT HORSES EAT?
# 14
Joseph
Joseph
05/26/2001 12:15 am
For a lot of us, the first time we heard Dylan sing, it kind of made us more comfortable with our own voice. I mean heres a guys who isn't afraid to be himself, a guy who chooses to sing and perform the type of songs that best represent his personality, and with all of the risks he has taken over the past few decades, it sure has payed off in his favor. Now its safe to say that Dylan isn't the most down to earth, easy talking person, but hes comfortable with his position in the world of rock, and despite the fact that image seems to be a lot of musicians #1 priority today, Dylan reminds us that it takes a lot of courage to believe in ourselves as a whole. Where music should be our primary motivation. This guy has been making music for years, not only because hes enjoyed a rather healthy financial career, but because he loves doing what hes doing.

I Swear, Ide love to have just a few minutes to collaborate with this guy, or to just have the opportiunity to watch him up close in the studio..Hes amazing...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 15
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/26/2001 2:48 am
You're telling me. Dylan should be made the patron saint of singers, for all those who don't think their voice is good enough, listen to him! That's a tiny bit unfair though, I think his voice is much better than it sounds, if that makes any sense. His voice is perfect for what he sings. SImilarly, his guitar playing aint up to much (though if he was the guitarist for his 'Don't think twice' he could sure do a good job when he tried), but it fits with what he plays.
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.