Guns n' Roses, Old or New?

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/08/2001 9:05 pm
This is summin that REALLY annoys me!! People who say "Ooo the old gnr are the best, its only axl rose now.." The vast majority or people ive met on the net keep saying this!! But i happen to believe the new guns n roses is better! Ok, so Slash invented all those amazin solos but have you heard Tobias playin em? pretty darn good!! Plus the gnr line up has changed frequently through time! Listen to the rock in rio verions of November Rain and Sweet Child o mine, and listen to Madagascar. Guns n Roses ROCK!!!

Later dudes!!
A.Rose!! :eek:
# 1
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/08/2001 10:26 pm
I dont know if Civil War is old or new but thats their best song or maybe Sweet Child O Mine is I dont know. no I dont agree with you old GnR with Slash was the best. Slash is a ****in talented guitarist. Tobias, hes even got a gay name.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 2
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/08/2001 10:36 pm
Hmm... are you one of these guys who believes "no slash = no gnr"? cos i disagree with that idea. Take away slashs solos from a song like "November Rain" and its still awesome. I'm the biggest Slash fan in Scotland!! I got a poster of him yesterday, him with a les Paul Goldtop, plus he inspired me to buy and learn to play a guitar. But!! He didnt make gnr, Axl Rose is responsible for ALL the song lyrics and piano tunes!! GnR are back!! Slash is with Snakepit!! So im happy,
Later folks,
A.Rose
# 3
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/08/2001 10:42 pm
Im not saying that. Im a major Slash fan too. Hes been better since Guns n Roses split. Ill have to invest in a poster soon.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 4
sixxstring54
sixxstring54
04/09/2001 7:18 am
Guns n Roses the name is after Traci Gunns and Axle Rose.

It doesn't matter what the name of the band is it is the performers that you are listening to.

Such as the new Dokken. I saw them live they kicked ass. Reb can't play George like George but he can definitely play like Reb. I respect him for the songs he writes.

Sixx

# 5
fon
fon
04/09/2001 12:57 pm
No Slash = No GNR
its true, GNR will not be the same without slash. It would help if they even had a person in the new band that was with them in the original besides Axel. Sure, Tobias can play the solos that Slash wrote like it ain't no thing. But can he write em? I doubt it.
# 6
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/09/2001 10:55 pm
Slash rocks. Like I said in the other post. In the eighties everyone was playing classical metal. Slash came out and reminded everyone that page and beck invented rock, not bach. (I got that out of the guitar legends magazine, good magazine, you should go out and get it) Although that is a verry true statement, I have often thought that myself. Not to get off the subject, I like old Guns 'n Roses. Not just trying to fit in, but face it imagine Guns 'n Roses up there without slash and his top hat, rocking out the solos, like only he can. That's just wrong.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 7

04/09/2001 11:51 pm
Guns N' Roses was all about reviving rock in a decade suffocating with MTV pop-trash and neo-classical shred. It was Slash's aggressive playing style matched with Axl's aggressive lyrics that made GNR so awesome. I can't say that Slash made the band, or that Axl did. I think it was a Page/Plant type relationship: both were required. Also, Axl didn't write all the lyrics and songs. Yeah he played the keyboard on occasion but he shouldn't be credited with all the songwriting. A lot of times it was him and Slash or him and Izzy. As for new GNR, I can't say I've heard enough of them to give them a chance. But I've heard that they've turned more industrial (like the song they did for that movie soundtrack, Oh My God). And Slash in his Snakepit doesn't suit me either. One might even say that both of them have become even more hardcore individually, I think they need each other to balance out.

P.S. Isn't Axl really fat now? I was distressed to hear this... he's always been the ladies man.
# 8
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/10/2001 4:23 pm
Axl is chunkified alright, perhaps thats why the hot pants have gone too. I really like Snakepit, previously known as "slashs snakepit". I have both albums, the latest being the best. Songs like "the truth" and "back to the moment" are well worth a listen. But i would prefer a reformed GnR, something i believe will happen soon!!
Im going to see GnR in Glasgow in June, wonder if Duff, Slash, Izzy, Gilby, Matt, Adler, Teddy, will all rejoin!! we could have like a 15 membered GnR!! or the new guys could leave! Hmm, Adler and Matt, is there any band who have two drummers? Thats a question for you!! Duff and Adler are both drummers but Duff played Bass all the time, is there a band were two different drummers have played in an album?

Later Axl
# 9
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/10/2001 10:52 pm
Slipknot has like 3 drummers I think. I hate them (along with all the other hardcore gagging singing crap) with a passion.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 10
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/11/2001 9:05 pm
Originally posted by Fender Man
Slipknot has like 3 drummers I think. I hate them (along with all the other hardcore gagging singing crap) with a passion.

My brothers friendd got a picture with the lead in Slipknot without the gay mask on. Everyone laughed at him. Then he ssold it for £500. Joke was on us.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 11
Patrick
Patrick
04/12/2001 11:47 am
I am a fan of Lifeson. Have been since 1981. Saw Rush at the L.A. Forum back in '82.
Anyway, I wonder if anyone knows how to get that squeal sound, like a bent harmonic during a lead. Neither a harmonic nor a simple picked string bend. Somewhere in between. It pops up occasionally in his leads. I think it is in 'Spirit of the Radio' or 'Villa Strangiato'.
# 12
zepo
zepo
04/14/2001 12:46 am
I don't know if many of you caught rock in rio at new years,if you did you know slash is no longer needed in GNR Buckethead filled his shoes and then some. I would have to say that rock in Rio was the best 29 song Concert I've every seen particullary thanks to the new line up........Don't get me wrong I still like the original line up but Axl did make up a damn good new GNR.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 13
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/14/2001 3:58 pm
Exactly my point! If u listen to the new GNR you'll be pretty impressed, i d/l all the Rio 3 songs and theyre better than Rio 2!!

Later dudes, Axl
# 14
Joseph
Joseph
04/15/2001 1:52 am
Personally, Ide rather lisen to Slash's Snake Pit instead of the new Guns N Roses line-up. What attracted me to the band to begin with was the amazing blend of two very talented musicians who worked well together, thats why it didn't bother me that much when they replaced the other guys because they got strong replacements, but its very hasrd to replace a musician like Slash or Axle, two guys to create so much energy once they're up on stage. Anything less is just half ass. I'm still waiting for another record with the same amount of intensity as Use your Illusion 1, November Rain is a great composition. But with the New Guns N Roses line up, (without Slash), the people are forced to focus entirely on Axles' agressiveness, and after a while it gets kind of old. Without Slash this band is taking a step down from regaining the intensity they once possessed.

Its not so muchg that I'm hanging ont the past but I think Axle is just fooling himself ith this new project, where he has once again let his ego overrule his better judgement. I mean why would we wan't tp settle for anything less than Slsh, especiallty if we thoroughly enjoyed the overall arangments years go... But everything seems final now, and it looks like theres no turning back. But still, this is rock and roll, and just about anything can transpire..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 15
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/15/2001 7:31 pm
All i know is that on June the 12th am gonna see GnR rock!! I dont care if it aint the "real" gnr, there the songs jast as well!! If the love we have for the old GnR is about image then theres no point to this discussion. I love the MUSIC!! Thats what GnR is all about!! So when they start with Nightrain and end with, say, Paradise City, am not gonna be thinkin, Hmm.. i miss Slash! Its the MUSIC folks!! And so what if there new album isnt as good as Appetite or the Illusions, i wanna hear some new material. Even if GnR are there own "tribute band".
So!!! Get over it!!!!!! Slash has left!!!!! He's with Snakepit now!!
When i listen to November Rain or Estranged, i think of people and places close to me, songs like that help me through times, like gettin over a girl. I'm in love with the music more than the people. I'd recommend you listen to Madagascar, its awesome.
Later Kriss. :)
# 16
zepo
zepo
04/15/2001 9:07 pm
You guys know slash dropped the tour with AC/DC??? pissed me off when i saw them in Orlando slash came down with the flu or something and dropped out of the whole tour the bastard.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 17
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/16/2001 10:16 pm
Originally posted by Fender Man
Slash rocks. Like I said in the other post. In the eighties everyone was playing classical metal. Slash came out and reminded everyone that page and beck invented rock, not bach. (I got that out of the guitar legends magazine, good magazine, you should go out and get it) Although that is a verry true statement, I have often thought that myself. Not to get off the subject, I like old Guns 'n Roses. Not just trying to fit in, but face it imagine Guns 'n Roses up there without slash and his top hat, rocking out the solos, like only he can. That's just wrong.

Page and beck didnt invent rock peoplelike Chuck Berry and Little Richard invented rock Page and Beck furthered rock and changed its course.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 18
Joseph
Joseph
04/17/2001 2:19 am
Overall, Guns N Roses were great with the combination of Slash and Axle, but due to the fact that they can't put their personal differences aside, we are forced to settle for less. Sure Ide be interested in checking out one of the new Guns N Roses shows, (perhaps for half the show, :D,) but I mean its just not the same without Slash everytime I hear Axle break into the chorus I'll just be waiting for Slash's signature leasds, and after it while it just gets rathger frustrating. Guns N Roses should be the best that they be, without Slash its just a different band with the same name.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 19
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/24/2001 10:38 am
So i guess you guys do prefer the old GnR. Slash is my hero and all but it doesnt mean to say GnR are nothing without him. I mean, wot is Axl to do? get a new band name and cover "guns n roses" songs? Besides he made guns n roses, not Slash! Slash isnt even an origonal member. I can count 18 members in GnR over the years. Oh well, heres to the new album!!

Later Axl
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.