Digitech GNX4

Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
03/21/2005 4:20 am

Pricing Information: I bought this brand new off of e-bay from a music store for $469.00. It came with 2 coupons, one for a footswitch (hands free recorder) and a gig-bag.

Pros/Review: It's simply awesome for home use. My favorite thing about it is that it has an 8 track recorder on it. With the added footswitch, when I get an idea, I simply hit record and play my riff. How many times have you nailed an awesome/riff lick only to forget it the next day? I know I have. The only bad part of this is that you have to buy a Compact Flash Card. I bought a 256mb one for $39 from Wal-Mart and it's suited my needs just fine.

The presets that come already installed are ok. There are a few useless ones, but there are some really cool ones. It has an awesome acoustic patch, plus the tones of many guitar legends from EVH to Joe Satch to Eric Johnson to SRV to Pat Matheny to Angus Young. There is also a really cool Guitar to Bass patch that turns your guitar into a bass. It doesn't sound the greatest, but it works for recording songs.

There is also a built in drum machine. Very cool indeed. Just pick your pattern, set your tempo and you've got drums. Easy enough right??

Now probably the coolest part is the USB hook-up. It came with a USB cord that you can plug into the computer. Now, you have a program that came with the GNX4, it's your patch-editing software. No more bending over and turning knobs to get your tone. It's all done right on the computer in front of you. When your GNX4 is hooked up to your computer, you just load a patch, do some tweaking and are able to hear what you're tweaking has done right before your eyes. Very cool indeed. There is also a plethora of patches online that others have created that you can download right into your GNX4. With the USB hooked up, you can also record live right into the computer with another peice of software that is supplied with the GNX4, ProTracks. The GNX4 also recognizes midi files. So I can download a midi backing track, and load it into the GNX4 and play along with the backing track. Very cool for learning songs. I've done it with "For the Love of God" by Vai. (I can't play it yet though ;) )

On the topic of editing the presets, the GNX4 has tons of amp models. From a '65 Fender Twin Reverb, to a Mesa Dual Rectifier. The best part of this is you can take these cabs and tweak them and save them as your own.

Now, from my very favorite part of all, you can assign those amps to your expression pedal (think wah pedal) and warp 2 amps together. Say a Mesa Dual Rectifier and a '78 Marshall Master Volume to create unique sounds.

Also a benefit of the expression pedal is using it to switch between clean and dirty. I can set up one amp channel for clean and one amp channel for my heavy crunch and use the expression pedal to switch between them, without hitting any buttons. That's awesome.

Cons/Review: It has a pretty steep learning curve. I've owned mine since December, and I find new things out about it all the time. The manual is very helpful, but if this would be your first Multi-Effects unit, it would take some time to figure things out.

The drum machine rocks, but you can't have tempo changes in your song. If you set it for 120bpm, that's what you have for your whole song. It doesn't nullify the drum machine, just holds it back a little bit.

The live situation is probably the biggest downfall of this whole thing. I have a little old Crate practice amp that I play through when I'm messing around, but usually I just use headphones. I did jam with my buddy once through a PA and I just couldn't get the thing to sound good. I recently learned though that the GNX4 has a speaker comp on it that is basically a preamp. I'm pretty sure I had it on, which is a no-no when playing through the amp.

Summary: I would give this a 9.5/10 for home use, but for live use I couldn't give a rating because I just haven't used it enough outside of my home for me to be able to make a good enough judgement. This is my favorite peice of equipment by far and I would say it was well worth the money. Just the 8 track recorder alone makes this thing a valuable peice of equipment.

I can provide a few sound clips if anyone would like to hear what this thing can do. Thanks and I'd be very glad to answer any questions anybody might have.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 1
SG Supreme
SG Supreme
04/05/2005 12:34 am
I'd love to hear some demo clips you may have made and saved.
I myself, am looking for an all in one unit that can hold all my guitar effects ( wah, distortion, phaser, etc. )

Pickin' and Grinnin'

# 2
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
04/05/2005 2:22 am
I want the GNX4 so bad!!!!!!! Ive wanted it for a while but its gonna take me quit a long time to save up the cash. Id really like to hear some of the demos, think you could send me some?
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/05/2005 11:31 am
I bought my GNX4 when it first came out for $600.It was great at first,but after months of tweaking and always returning to the recto preset for my main gain,I gave it up.I warped an eq'd till my eyes were red,but it never sounded good.

I did find the 'all-in-one' style helpful,but then it became a novelty...it began to feel like a toy.It did alot of things,but nothing really well.

I can recommend it to people who need an all-in-one package that has FX,amp models,recording,drum machine e.c.t. but not for an integral part of a live guitar rig or home studio.Much better 'dedicated' units serve those purposes.

Just don't spend $500...go for one on ebay.I consider the GNX4 to be a overpriced,but there is no other machine that competes with it for all its functions.
Try once,fail twice...
# 4
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
04/11/2005 2:38 am
Sorry everyone, I've been away for a while.

Chuck, you gave it up too soon!!! Some dude on the GNX board is actually modeling amps using some high-tech computer software in a studio. I've got the MESA Triple Rectifier patch, and it's by FAR the best distortion I've ever heard from a multi-units.

Anyways, what kind of effects would you like to hear?

I can play some factory ones for you like:

Eric Johnson, Eddie, Angus, uhm, theres and acoustic patch, and I can give some of my own "created" tones as well as some that I've downloaded like:

The Carvin Legacy, Mesa Triple Rectifier, JSX (Joe Satrianis new Amp), an old Marshall Plexi just to name a few. Let me know guys.
# 5
Re2point0
Re2point0
04/11/2005 2:45 am
just put your favortes on. I've never been a fan of digitech. So I'de like someone to show me something nice.
# 6
RevRaz
RevRaz
04/21/2005 4:53 pm
http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/guitar_list_music.asp?productid=199
# 7
MannRay75
MannRay75
05/08/2005 11:44 am
I am recent new owner of the Digitech GNX4, Before I made my purchase, I read the reveiws, only to find this thing has stirred up comments from extreme ends of the review spectrum, this thing seems to be hated as much as it is loved. With this being said I decided to go out on a limb and see for myself.
I am glad I did. It was exactly what I was looking for. I know there is alot of negative thought about all-in-one units, sure nothing beats a quality dedicated device, but let's face it not everyone has thousands & thousands of dollars to invest in all the equipment that is needed to come close to what the GNX4 is capable of. So even if some of the features aren't exactly dead on, it is still a lot of bang for the buck.
All in all, I must say that I am very impressed with the whole concept of the GNX4, and I am very happy my purchase. Let's see where this concept is at in the future, say 10 years,

I would be very interested in hearing the MESA TRIPLE RECTIFIER Patch
How can I hear it or possibly get it myself
# 8
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
05/30/2005 4:46 pm
I have had my GNX4 for about 8 months now. My only complaint is that most of the presets suck! I have my GNX4 plugged into the effects loop of my B52 Tri Rectifier with a 4x12 cab, also B52. Some of the presets give off a terrible buzz or feedback. I have tried adjusting input gains and the level on the GNX4 itself but no luck. It's great if you want to sit and play through headphones but I don't think it's all that when it comes to plugging it into your amp.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 9
Blazinshreder8
Blazinshreder8
06/02/2005 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarfreak141I want the GNX4 so bad!!!!!!! Ive wanted it for a while but its gonna take me quit a long time to save up the cash. Id really like to hear some of the demos, think you could send me some?

Witz up Inney, it's Jared from school. I got the GNX2, i'm pretty happy with it. :)
-Keep Rockin'
-Jared
# 10
don'tblameme
don'tblameme
06/05/2005 8:42 am
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]my friend has it and it's awsome[/FONT] :cool:
# 11
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
06/24/2005 2:24 am
Originally Posted by: MannRay75I am recent new owner of the Digitech GNX4, Before I made my purchase, I read the reveiws, only to find this thing has stirred up comments from extreme ends of the review spectrum, this thing seems to be hated as much as it is loved. With this being said I decided to go out on a limb and see for myself.
I am glad I did. It was exactly what I was looking for. I know there is alot of negative thought about all-in-one units, sure nothing beats a quality dedicated device, but let's face it not everyone has thousands & thousands of dollars to invest in all the equipment that is needed to come close to what the GNX4 is capable of. So even if some of the features aren't exactly dead on, it is still a lot of bang for the buck.
All in all, I must say that I am very impressed with the whole concept of the GNX4, and I am very happy my purchase. Let's see where this concept is at in the future, say 10 years,

I would be very interested in hearing the MESA TRIPLE RECTIFIER Patch
How can I hear it or possibly get it myself

Sorry everyone, been very busy as of late. To get the Mesa Triple Rectifier patch go to the digitech sound community message boards/downloads. Look for any patch by a guy named guitar3456. Every patch he has is awesome and there's about 15 or 20 of them, from classic EVH Brown Sound to the JSX1000, to Zakk Wylde modded Marshalls. I'll try and get some clips up guys.
# 12
fretboarddragon
fretboarddragon
07/17/2005 10:58 am
I'm glad I read this review...I have the GNX3 and it doesn't sound like anything that different other than USB interface as opposed to the old MIDI style connections. As far as live goes, I love my GNX3. Once you turn the output past 10 o'clock, it really burns! The sounds take on a whole new perspective. When I practice at home, I have to keep the volume relatively low, and it doesn't sound that good, especially thru headphones. But I know once I get out there live, it pulls thru. My only problem right now is I've had it for 2 or 3 years and the UP/DOWN are starting to wear out. I'll have to send it out to be repaired, and I'm not looking forward to that.
For a quick snack, picks is good eatin'
# 13
guitar3456
guitar3456
07/19/2005 7:09 pm
Hi group, as REv has mentioned ( and thanks) there is much to be learned about the GNX4 and it can blow away any other modeler hands down. The shrill probs some are having..turn the speaker compensation switch on and always leave it on. I have resampled the models and added many many more by recording live amps and sampling through RTA and other equip. the results have been amazing as many would attest. I have a site dedicated to the GNX usage and other details if interested.

http://www.mtprosound.com/MTPROPAGE1/Links.html

G3456
# 14
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
07/26/2005 3:48 am
Glad to see you aboard Guitar3456!! Hope ya stay around, could use ya in the recording section.
# 15
paranoid726
paranoid726
09/17/2005 10:02 pm
Did you guys see the Ultimate MFX Super Series cd's? That same guy at Digitech Comm made released those Cd's of patches and amp models on Sep 1st. I was watching some posters there. When I heard their reviews I ordered. I am convinced !! Happy! Elated !! This disc is amazing and makes my GNX4 rock. I just ebayed my POD XTL cause it will now never compare to the GNX4. One of my friends has a GNX3 and he is ordering a disc today. There's a ton, I mean ton of amp models, patches, artist patches. It took him 6 months to make this but I can truly say he worked his can off on these. The sound is amazing and hats off to this Digitech Comm guy for doing this!! Nobody with a GT, POD, will ever compete with these tones!!
# 16
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
09/23/2005 4:13 am
Yeah, I want to buy the MFX series. I've downloaded some of Guitar3456 patches from the sound comunity. Let's just say I would like to reverse my post above. The GNX4 kicks some major tail with the new patches. I have also added a sonic maximizer between my GNX4 and my amp and it is also a major upgrade in tone. I still stand by what I said about the factory patches though, they suck. Thank the good lord above for dudes like Guitar3456!
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 17
Sepultara91
Sepultara91
05/01/2006 11:09 am
Thanks guys. I read these posts and the GNX4 does it for me! I contacted Digitechs forum about the model packs and now I have them too. Wow is all I can say. The unit is good and some presets are okay but the model packs like others said here are what helps alot. Thanks for the reviews, all of you. I wasn't sure if this unit was above me or not but was surprised to find video tutorials on my disc from those packs. A very nice addition. Now I can play and play and not tweak all day! I 'm glad I spent some time reading and decided to go GNX4. This is too cool!

Allen
# 18
rockonn91
rockonn91
05/05/2006 9:25 pm
Ive got a GNX3, and although it doesnt have as many features as the 4, I must agree that the 8 track is extremely fun. Its not really that usefull for actual recording, I prefer to do that on the computer, but the looping function is great.

two thumbs up for Digitech.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 19
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
05/14/2006 3:56 am
Edit: Since my last post in this thread I have disowned my GNX4 and bought a BOSS GT-8. I am much happier now. Except for the small fact that I had my GNX4 long enough to learn how to operate it and now I have to learn how to operate the GT-8. That's a good problem though. :D
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.