What ruins a song/annoys you in a song

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/01/2001 9:14 pm
Scratching - You know where in the middle of a song you hear like turntable scratching. Limp Bizkit is an example of crap music being worsened by this

Overdoing the music - Yo mightnt understand this but like in Tears In Heaven he completely overdid it. Too much messing around. The MTv unplugged version showed this.

Too much distortian - Distortian can sound great or it can sound crap and ruin a song. dont know about you but this is obvious in alot of grunge/thrash metal.

Fat gaylords pathetic attempts at rappin - This may lookj like a blatent attack at Limp Bizkit. Which is partially true.

What else?
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 1
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/02/2001 8:23 pm
Don't mess with Clapton.

Like dancing together like nsync or backstreet boys or stuff like that. I can't remember what you call that kind of dancing. But you get what I'm saying.

Too much special effects can mess it up too.

"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 2
Creedence_Revival
Creedence_Revival
04/20/2001 7:40 pm
What bothers me in some songs is an overdone solo. Whether it's a guitar or other instrument, there's a fine line between beautiful and annoying. I find it rather hard to explain...

And what ruins a song for me...is finding out that some pop band is going to cover it, or "sample" the bassline from it. Oh well...
-Rachael
# 3
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/22/2001 1:52 am
Yeah, really overdone guitar solos. Anything Limp Bizkit does is ruined simply by virtue of them doing it. Songs that start with something you really like, then do soemthing completely different and stuff it up. Can't think of an example, but it happens. Bryan Ferry doing Bob Dyloan covers. I am reffering tro his Version of a Hard Rain's a'gonna fall, it went from a beautiful and somewhat bleak folk song to an upbeat pile of garbage with backing singers. I mean, anyone who sings, "I saw a black branch with blood that kept dripping" sounding like he is singing "hey guys lets have some fun and isn't the world a great place" should be shot, IMO.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 4
zepo
zepo
04/22/2001 2:16 am
You know what annoys me is when a (c)rap "artist" remixes a rock song and takes credit for the song, I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!!
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 5
gannnong
gannnong
04/25/2001 7:50 pm
vocals that whine or gush (for lack of better word) too much. I hate that.
# 6
howie50
howie50
04/25/2001 10:18 pm
Yngwie,Vai or the other twiddler who's name I can hardly be bothered to remember, they're what ruin a song for me.
It takes 3 chords, 2 fingers and one asshole to play rock'n'roll
# 7
stratman42
stratman42
04/28/2001 1:33 pm
Although these "twiddlers" are good guitarists, they are the perfect examples of what was previously mentioned - prolonged solos, and i agree to some extent.

What really annoys me is fading out. If youre going to write a song, write an ending too! Don't just fade out because you dont know how to stop! Drum machines, and too much effects. Oh yes, and keyboards. KEYBOARDS! :mad: I cannot stand keyboards. there are too many possibilities, and they just take the music out of music. :confused: you know what i mean... ;)
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 8
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/29/2001 5:40 am
Yeah, and electric guitars...
What's wrong with keyboards? Sure, they suck if you are trying to play classical or jazz, but you can get some awesome sounds out of them. ALso, some tunes are suited to fade outs, the quiet ones that just fade off into the distance.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 9
stratman42
stratman42
05/05/2001 7:12 pm
Okay. a brilliant marketing scheme. an instrument that can be played as many instruments. with one big flaw. the original instruments sound better. electric guitars were a step forward in guitars, and if keyboards were just a step forward for pianos, that would be fine. but instead, jimmy keyboard inventor says "no, i'm going to make it incorporate many instruments," thus destroying the whole idea of bands with different instruments in and different genres. This isn't real music, this is manufactured. and it sounds ****e too.

As for the fade outs - if the songs gentle, why not just end on a gentle chord? a song sounds unfinished if it just fades out. it needs a proper ending, no matter how simple.
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 10
Joseph
Joseph
05/06/2001 1:21 am
Zach Dele Rocha's voice, although I must say that he has his moments, but Tom Morello makes up for the rest...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 11
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/06/2001 5:21 am
I agree that when a keyboard is attempting to take the place of a piano it sounds horrible. that is because the keyboard is a synthesizer whereas an electric guitar still physically creates sound that is then amplified. However, when keyboards are there for creating different sounds they can be really good. What precisely is "artificial" sond anyway? Surely if there is sound, it is real?

# 12
cometzero
cometzero
05/12/2001 7:10 pm

Too many overdubs - This I hate more than anything else. You have a band with ONE guitar player. But all of their songs have, like, FIFTEEN different guitar tracks. If you're a one-guitar band and you play a solo then there should be no rhythm guitar during the solo. It's simple math: one guitar=one guitar part. If you want two guitars then get two guitar players. Anything else is cheating. It's dishonest, a misrepresentation of what your band really sounds like.

cometzero
# 13
NegativeCrp
NegativeCrp
05/15/2001 4:10 am
I don't really like excessive repetitiveness in the riffs or words in a song. I think if they are dedicated to the song the can make something better than just having to repeat.

Also, I can't really stand dialogue made by anyone during the middle of the song. It seems lately that it is done a lot in music I hear on the radio.
"I'm so ugly thats ok cause so are you"
# 14
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/15/2001 9:41 am
Like that whole bit on "Oops I did it again". I mean, I don't really care because I never listen to Britney Spears, but that is so stupid, to cut a song up and have a little bit of dialogue that only works in the video clip. When you realise songs are being written for the video clip, you realise something is wrong...
# 15
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/15/2001 5:34 pm
What ruins a song for me is when the lyrics have absoulutely no meaning. Like in rap songs, how come they're always slappin' hos? Nobody cares about that! I also hate it when the guitar part is relatively ok, but the vocals suck. The guitarist from Limp Bizkit would probably be more appreciated (by me at least) if he wasn't teamed up with a damn wigger. Damn!
MYK
# 16
Joseph
Joseph
05/16/2001 12:53 am
Yeah, its frustrating when a band refuses to put the same amount of effort in both their lyrics and sounds. That way of thinking for a lot of musicians is "whatever it takes to get by" instead of "whatever it takes to satisfy themselves.":rolleyes: Its sad when musicians today focus more on gaining instant success instead of looking forward to the future. Basically when they sell themselves short, taking away from the overall value of their compositions.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 17
James Hetfield Is Jesus
James Hetfield Is Jesus
05/16/2001 4:13 am
i hate it when you hear rap in a song that sounds cool until the rap.
JAMES HETFIELD IS JESUS
# 18
MaxMcD
MaxMcD
05/16/2001 4:35 pm
it sonds realy bad when you are at a concert and the sound crew has the channels out of wack. like when you can hear the guitars and drums but you cant tell what the hell they are saying in the mics. it also ruins a song when some gay band does a cover and it sonds like sh**.
Max McDougall
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.