The Problem with Cry Babies

Vulgar Display of Jeff
Vulgar Display of Jeff
03/28/2001 10:07 pm
OK...
I don't know what's up with my Cry Baby Wah. but this is the second one that has done this to me. The first one lasted only 2 weeks and the second only lasted a couple of months. The problem is that suddenly the switch will quit working. It will switch from clean to wah, but will be very, very quiet with a lot of screeching and then it will not switch back to clean. It works fine if I stick my finger under the foot pedal and manually press the switch however. I exchanged the first one for a new one. But the second one they tried fixing by taking a washer from under the switch (Inside the housing) and moving it to the top side so that the switch raised about a fraction of an inch. It worked for about a week and then the pedal started doing the same thing all over again. Does anyone out there have any similar problems with Cry Babies? And if so, is there any way to fix it so it doesn't happen anymore. I love the tone of it and don't want to have to switch brands (Nor do I have the money to buy a new one at the moment). But, I feel really frustrated having to service a wah pedal that supposesedly lasts forever, every month or two. HELP!
# 1
loner92
loner92
03/28/2001 10:53 pm
Those things are poorly made. Very unreliable stuff. I don'y know how you can fix it, but next time try a Morley Bad Horsie, or (if you must have the same sound) Dunlop's Bad Horsie ripoff, the 95Q Crybaby. Both are switchless and use electro optical circuitry.

# 2
nappyafrobiscuithead
nappyafrobiscuithead
04/15/2001 4:33 am
the best wah to get is the Digitech xp100. that thing has numerous wah settings including a Crybaby setting which to me sounds pretty damn good.
in addition it also has some pretty shzznitical wammy effects.. But beware, it's hard to use them without sounding like a Tom Morello wanna-be.
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/15/2001 7:07 am

I've had a Crybaby for about 3 years now and haven't had any problems. Other than changing the batteries, I haven't had to do anything to it.

The only thing I can think of that would cause a well-made pedal like a Crybaby to fall apart after a few months is abuse. Are you stomping it or something?

Anyway, from what you said, it sounds like the problem is that the switch is not getting fully depressed when you click the pedal all the way down. I suppose you could put something (a piece of wood, rubber) at the very front on the inside of the toe part of the pedal to help push the switch down.

Later.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.