Roy buchanan..My New Guitar hero

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/23/2005 4:29 pm
Originally Posted by: Raskolnikov
So now are you going to tell us that technically perfect Synclavier music ISN'T the most gawd-awfuly sterile, unlistenable tripe on the planet?

Nice reversal on the "not liking Hendrix" thing, btw.

You aren't a fan of the Caprices? Bah!

No there was a misunderstanding about Hendrix. My point was to say that Hendrix is nothing when you think outside the world of rock, that his technique is beyond horrendous. I never made a statement saying Hendrix's music didn't serve a purpose, never made a statement saying he couldn't capture people's emotions. The only ****ing thing I said was that Hendrix's technique severely limited his ability to not only play, but create. Got it? ****ing christ, you'd think he was Jesus or something.

~Incidents
# 1
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/23/2005 5:37 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovA friend of mine (DIABOLICALLY good guitarist) quit a few years ago because he got sick of being told that a B-flat-flat wasn't an A.

Sound familiar?

Man, who was your friend hanging out with? It makes me sad to hear stories like this- hits too close to home for me. It's taken me 15+ yrs. to get out ot the "Berklee box"; I hope I can get back 1/10 of what was sucked out of me.

Just tell him to pick up his axe and just PLAY!
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/23/2005 6:40 pm
Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenYou aren't a fan of the Caprices? Bah![/quote]
I'd rather listen to Rachmaninov or Stravinski but that isn't what I was saying nor is it the point.

Imperfections, interpretations and deviations from "perfect" have always made music more listenable. Cracks in a voice, a player's individual vibrato, unconscious building and slowing of tempos; these are the things that transform music from sounds that work together into something that speaks to people.

Of course, there is limit to how imperfect something can be before it start to sound like crap, but how many serious musicians think Hendrix sounds bad?

Originally Posted by: Incidents HappenNo there was a misunderstanding about Hendrix. My point was to say that Hendrix is nothing when you think outside the world of rock, that his technique is beyond horrendous. I never made a statement saying Hendrix's music didn't serve a purpose, never made a statement saying he couldn't capture people's emotions. The only ****ing thing I said was that Hendrix's technique severely limited his ability to not only play, but create. Got it? ****ing christ, you'd think he was Jesus or something.

There's several problems with what you're trying to say here:

First, with his technique (however poor or advanced one may think it is) he was able to do and create a lot of things nobody had ever heard before. And if you think he was only noticed and influential within the world of Rock, you have to be 1). out of your mind or 2). totally ignorant of what guitar playing sounded like before Hendrix vs after.

Second, near the time of his death his friends reported finding Classical records scattered everywhere with an enthusiastic Jimi saying "hey, check this out..." when they went to visit him. To suggest that you or anybody has any idea what he would have done next, what it would have sounded like and how his technique would have effected this is, bluntly, foolish. He never had a chance to do it, we can never and will never know.

Third, we KNOW that he was great at what he set his mind to, how can we know how he would or wouldn't fare at other forms of music if he set out to play it? And directly to the point of his technique hindering his ability to play other forms of music; how is hitting a wrong note and bending it into key really any different than a Baroque Jazz horn player using "flub notes" in they're playing? Isn't a sloppy technique really just another technique -- another trick in the tool bag?

This is my opinion, but to sit here and nitpick over the tequnique he chose to play with in light of the unprecidented catalytic influence he had on practically all the music that came after him -- not just Rock -- strikes me as futile, boorish and infantile.

And I'm not even really a Hendrix fan.

[QUOTE=Silimtao]Man, who was your friend hanging out with? It makes me sad to hear stories like this- hits too close to home for me. It's taken me 15+ yrs. to get out ot the "Berklee box"; I hope I can get back 1/10 of what was sucked out of me.

Just tell him to pick up his axe and just PLAY!

Well, that's pretty much what he did. I have a few good war stories no thanks to/involving him.

I haven't seen him in a while, but I've heard what he's up to (playing banjo in a "Dirt Grass" band called A Hot Day at the Zoo) and I like it a lot.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/23/2005 7:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Incidents Happen
The entire reason I brought up classical and Jazz music is because most people never look outside of rock, and it's unfortunate. My one and only point was to say that Hendrix did not have a good technique. He was a great emotional player, and how he does the "machine gun" sends shivers down my spine. It's just that lately I've met guitarists that think he was good in technical terms, which is simply false.

~Incidents

Don't you realize you're doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing? You don't appear to look at things outside of classical and jazz, and I find THAT unfortunate. Take it from someone that's been around the block a few times music-wise: if you're ever going to find your own voice in playing, you're going have to throw the "rules" out the window, play from the heart, not the mind; intellectualize too much, and you'll end up with Muzak. Unless your goal is to simply be a music teacher- I'm not putting down teachers; having taught privately while at Berklee to make some bread, and teaching in another subject totally unrelated to music- my goal was to simply be a guide for the student, but I'd always stress NOT to do it only my way; find your own way- after the fundamentals were covered of course.

I'd find it more palatable if you said you simply thought Hendrix sucked, he's not for you.

For your sake, I hope you'll be able to reach beyond the confines of classical and jazz, and just look at things in terms of music. Of course not all types of music is for everyone. But to view things in such a confined way- well, imo, you're limiting yourself and your views on what could be. Or, you could be an elitist like Klugh and Marsalis- I've boycotted listening to either of them cuz of what they defined as "real" music. Both really narrow minded.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 4
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
01/23/2005 8:42 pm
In my humble opinion, hendrix is really overrated.
It's not about technique or soul or whatever, its just about being overrated by people who werent even *there* for real to judge.
I once read a interview with Ritchie Blackmore where he said that back in the 60's vanilla fudge and *not* hendrix used to be the best/most admired band in England.
Of course, i wasnt there back in the 60's BUT Ritchie Blackmore himself was there, Pete touwnsend (spelling?) was there, Jimmy Page was there and even Johnny Winter was there.. So the question is: what was so groundbreaking in Hendrix's work?
He was a really good rock player, incredible sound, etc, etc BUT i really doubt he can be compared to people like Ritchie Blackmore and even if we talk about influence, i dont think there's even one rock/metal song today out there which wasnt somehow influenced by Blackmore rather than Hendrix.
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/24/2005 1:04 am
Originally Posted by: ZeppelinIn my humble opinion, hendrix is really overrated.
It's not about technique or soul or whatever, its just about being overrated by people who werent even *there* for real to judge.
I once read a interview with Ritchie Blackmore where he said that back in the 60's vanilla fudge and *not* hendrix used to be the best/most admired band in England.
Of course, i wasnt there back in the 60's BUT Ritchie Blackmore himself was there, Pete touwnsend (spelling?) was there, Jimmy Page was there and even Johnny Winter was there.. So the question is: what was so groundbreaking in Hendrix's work?
He was a really good rock player, incredible sound, etc, etc BUT i really doubt he can be compared to people like Ritchie Blackmore and even if we talk about influence, i dont think there's even one rock/metal song today out there which wasnt somehow influenced by Blackmore rather than Hendrix.

Finally, someone that has an alternate opinion than "HENDRIX ROX!"

~Incidents
# 6
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/24/2005 1:48 am
Originally Posted by: ZeppelinIn my humble opinion, hendrix is really overrated.

Well, at least you qualified your opinion in an understandable way.

Here's what Blackmore had to say in a 1995 interview: "RB: I don't see myself as such an important guitarist. Hendrix, he was a genius. Or Clapton in his early years. Those were people who did something new. The biggest guitarplayer was- and probably is Jeff Beck. To know what is already been done before you, and to come up with something new, that characterizes the great players. I already satisfied when I succeed in making music which is interesting...". For the full interview, you can find it here, in case you're interested: http://www.thehighwaystar.com/interviews/blackmore/rb_rifraf.html

# 7
TheGuitarGuy
TheGuitarGuy
02/10/2005 3:43 am
Does anybody else listen to the great Roy Buchanan, in my mind one of the greatest guitarists of all time...anyone who hasn't listened to him, I recomend it. (check out sweet dreams by him) and anyone who does listen to him, post on this thread to let me know.
[FONT=Impact]TheGuitarGuy[/FONT]
# 8
SpeckledJim
SpeckledJim
02/10/2005 4:26 pm
i love roy buchanan i downloaded a video of him "when the guitar plays the blues" he so good. just the sound he gets from his guitar. he is a god
Fender telecaster (2004)
Ash body
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.