Selling equipment??

Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
01/18/2005 10:52 pm
Is there some kind of policy on the forum about selling gear? Ive never really seen any kind of commerce going on. This seems like a great place to buy/sell stuff!
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/19/2005 1:16 am
Originally Posted by: Homebrew1709Is there some kind of policy on the forum about selling gear? Ive never really seen any kind of commerce going on. This seems like a great place to buy/sell stuff!
[font=trebuchet ms]We never did settle on a consensus about that. Once you've been here long enough to establish a reputation, I think it may be OK to post some stuff in the Gear forum. Subject to the following conditions:

• Senior Members [u]only[/u]. No exceptions. No bitchin'.
  • Don't write a fancy advertisement. Just list the gear you want to sell, and ask interested members to send you an e-mail.
  • Post your listing to the Gear forum [u]only[/u]. We don't like it when people drop in just long enough to spam up the board with ads, we don't want our members doing so either.
  • Don't list prices, or get into negotiations in the forum.
  • Guitar Tricks can't be responsible for any misrepresentations made by a seller or any prospective buyers. Our only part in this activity is to allow you to announce that you have some items you would like to sell.
  • Gear For Sale listing threads may be deleted for any breach of the Forum rules.
  • A time limit (30 days?) may be imposed so that we can delete old sale threads.

NOTE:I haven't checked this with Jon, so at this point, this is only a proposal. I'll ask him about it. Meanwhile, this is a chance for members to chime in with their thoughts on the subject.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
01/19/2005 4:08 am
What makes someone a senior member? Im almost at 100 posts, so im a senior right ;) ? Seriously though, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but im not so familiar with the politics. Who's the crowned prince or whtever here?
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/19/2005 5:49 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Any member who makes 100 posts automatically becomes a Senior Member. No 'politics' involved. It's simply recognition of a member's participation. I propose to add permission to list items for sale to that recognition.

This website is the brainchild and carefully fostered creation of Jon Broderick. He's the guy you talk to when you contact the Webmaster. He's put a lot of his own money, and a helluva lot of work into making this website what it is today. So when this subject came up, I went to him about it. He has the final say, but he doesn't arbitrarily impose his will. Whatever decisions are made will be the result of consultation and careful consideration. This thread is the perfect place for members to present their ideas on this subject. And members comments are listened to.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/19/2005 5:55 am
I think, with those rules you listed in mind, that that's a great idea, but if it does go through, you should list those rules on top of the gear forum page in a sticky note much like the one for guitartricks rules.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/19/2005 6:09 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Agreed. This is may turn into a 'dry run' for a new section of the forum. We're looking at starting off with allowing listings in the gear section because it's the most appropriate place for now.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/19/2005 6:18 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]Agreed. This is may turn into a 'dry run' for a new section of the forum. We're looking at starting off with allowing listings in the gear section because it's the most appropriate place for now.[/font]

oh oh! Here's an idea! Only high-bandwidth can sell! Put it in a restricted forum! That way, nobody spams up the boards.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/19/2005 7:02 am
[font=trebuchet ms]The high bandwidth memberships were conceived as a way to get the people who cause the most resource demand to support the associated costs. I propose linking sales listings to forum participation. Participation doesn't add as much to the site operating costs, but it does serve to separate the lurkers from the active contributors. We still get the occaisional deluge of ads placed in every section of the forum by some jerk-off who registered as a member just so they could post that crap. I'm not proposing any membership conditions that are coded into the site. I just want some rules in place that give me a fighting chance to keep up with the traffic, and give prospective buyers a chance to get to know the sellers.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/19/2005 1:52 pm
this is weird! I just came to this section to recommend creating a "gear emporium" for members to post gear for sale and gear they are looking for. My suggestion is to creat a "sticky" post that all member's must read before posting a "for sale" post. I whole heartedly agree with the Senior Members only part! I would add one more thing too....no bumping your thread to get it to the top of the list, except maybe once or twice a week. Also, once an item is sold, that must be listed in the thread. The only "reply" that should be made would be if someone didn't list enough info that could be benificial to potential buyers, and if someone want's to let people know if the seller can be trusted or not. Besides that, no replying about price or little petty stuff. That should be done via e-mail with the seller. I also think it should be up to the seller whether or not they want to list a price or not. If a section like this is created, I would be glad to help moderate if someone is needed ;)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 9
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/19/2005 2:58 pm
Hmm... I bet though that youd have a ton of listings but very very few buyers.
# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/19/2005 4:04 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayathis is weird! I just came to this section to recommend creating a "gear emporium" for members to post gear for sale and gear they are looking for. My suggestion is to creat a "sticky" post that all member's must read before posting a "for sale" post.[/QUOTE][font=trebuchet ms]Good point.[/font]
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaI whole heartedly agree with the Senior Members only part! I would add one more thing too....no bumping your thread to get it to the top of the list, except maybe once or twice a week.[/QUOTE][font=trebuchet ms]Once or twice a week? How about 'not ever'?[/font]
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaAlso, once an item is sold, that must be listed in the thread.[/QUOTE][font=trebuchet ms]I think the seller can edit it out of the listing.[/font]
[QUOTE=PRSplaya]The only "reply" that should be made would be if someone didn't list enough info that could be benificial to potential buyers, and if someone want's to let people know if the seller can be trusted or not. Besides that, no replying about price or little petty stuff. That should be done via e-mail with the seller.
[font=trebuchet ms]If someone wants more info, they should contact the seller via e-mail. If someone thinks they've been jerked around, that can get into some messy areas in terms of the site's rules about bad-mouthing other members. That's likely to give me a headache or two.[/font]
[QUOTE=PRSplaya]I also think it should be up to the seller whether or not they want to list a price or not.
[font=trebuchet ms]You're probably right.[/font]
[QUOTE=PRSplaya]If a section like this is created, I would be glad to help moderate if someone is needed ;)
[font=trebuchet ms]Thanks for the offer.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/19/2005 5:07 pm
Once or twice a week? How about 'not ever'?

If the section started to get flooded with numerous FS post, it's possible that someone could get moved back a page or two where nobody will look. I think once a week is a reasonable compromise.

I think the seller can edit it out of the listing.

True, but it should be pointed out in the opening "sticky"

If someone wants more info, they should contact the seller via e-mail

I think things like specific model, year, condition, etc... are things that should be in the initial post. If they aren't, then I think it's reasonable enough for someone who might be interested to ask about these things in the post.

If someone thinks they've been jerked around, that can get into some messy areas in terms of the site's rules about bad-mouthing other members.

This is true. This is something that should be stated in the "sticky."

You're probably right.

Of course I am..... :D j/k ;)

Thanks for the offer.

No problem.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 12
konman
konman
01/20/2005 4:20 am
E-bay is much better suited for sales, and there the seller actually PAYS for posting.
I'd rather see "gear exchange" or "looking for ..." sections here -- as alternatives to e-bay.
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/25/2005 6:53 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Ok, lets try this and see how it works out.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/25/2005 7:01 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]Ok, lets try this and see how it works out.[/font]

I like it! (as if my opinion matters, hahaha!)

Uh oh, Lord! Only three posts away from having no life!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 15
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/25/2005 1:16 pm
Looks like a great idea to me ;)

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 16
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/03/2009 7:14 pm
Just a reminder to let members know about >this thread< for anyone looking to buy, sell, or trade some gear.

Please read the rules before posting, and then enjoy.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.