Cobain couldn't play guitar?!?

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/09/2004 5:02 am
Everyone that's ever said "Kurt Cobain couldn't play guitar", please be prepared to eat your words.

All along, I always had a feeling that Cobain really could play guitar, but that he held back soloing in favour of songwriting.

And now I have the proof.

Check our "Heartbreaker" by Nirvana, from a 1987 concert. It's on the new Nirvana box set, "With the Lights Out".

Sure, he's not playing one of Paganini's Caprices, but he does play the bits of the breakdown solo and shows that he could play guitar beyond chords.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/09/2004 12:31 pm
Id be a bit careful here eggdude as I know that Nirvana used a "ghost" guitarist who would stand out of sight and play through the front house PA. I do like Nirvana but I'd just be careful here !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
12/09/2004 8:22 pm
I've heard he could really play also. Kind of like the dude from Weezer, he can shred, but chooses not to. Don't know this for a fact, but I've heard that Cobain was a student of Joe Satriani. If it's true, I'm sure he really could play...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 3
TheWizard
TheWizard
12/12/2004 9:10 pm
Originally Posted by: JFRICKI've heard he could really play also. Kind of like the dude from Weezer, he can shred, but chooses not to. Don't know this for a fact, but I've heard that Cobain was a student of Joe Satriani. If it's true, I'm sure he really could play...

yeah where did you hear that?

but seriously if you guys listen to the first nirvana record 'bleach' there's some kickass rock solos on it, but thats assuming the story is true about how kurt played all guitars for that record, and the other guitarist credited is just on there because he helped pay for the studio time
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 4
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
02/19/2019 3:22 am

I'm no huge fan of shredding but I do admit one has to be quite accomplished on guitar to shred..........check this video puppy out!!!

Jim C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e0dcKVigeM

# 5
hrkudryavtseva1986
hrkudryavtseva1986
03/27/2019 10:16 am

I absolutely disagree in every way, Kurt's outstanding rhythm work is what makes Nirvana great. Nirvana is an exercise in minimalism, I like Nirvana because Jimmy Page would make these songs into a mockery of themselves. Kurt stripped down his playing, but earlier in the band's tenure he played plenty of creative and difficult parts. He boiled the music down into its essential parts- pure pop music. Hooks. Riffs. Catchy, fun songs. I can't emphasize enough how disgusting a virtuoso guitarist would sound in Nirvana. apkjunky

# 6
hobinlobo
hobinlobo
04/25/2019 9:11 am

Watch Rick beato's what makes this song great on YouTube.

There's more than one way to be a great guitarist.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.