M-Audio MobilePre USB?

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/02/2004 5:17 pm
OK, I need some opinions here. I recently saw a classified ad for one of these guys for $100 CAD, but maybe I can get him down a bit. Here are the specs:

Features
# 2 x 2 USB audio interface
# Ideal for mobile operation
# 2 microphone inputs (XLR balanced) with 48v phantom power
# Stereo microphone input (1/8ā€)
# 2 high-impedance instrument/line inputs (1/4ā€ balanced)
# 2 analog outputs (unbalanced 1/4ā€ @ -10dBv)
# Stereo line output (1/8ā€)
# Stereo headphone output (1/8ā€) with level control knob
# Gain control knob for each input channel (+40 dB max)
# Zero-latency hardware direct monitoring with software level control
# Mono/stereo direct monitoring
# USB-powered (no wall wart or batteries needed)

And here's a pic:

This retails for about $149 USD, which is about... $180 CAD these days with the exchange being what it is.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Good deal? Do I really need it? I'm looking for something to preamp my inputs into the computer (e.g. vocals, miked guitar amps, direct guitar signals) and this looks like a nice, clean package.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2004 6:04 pm
I think you get what you pay for.

This thing is an A/D converter / Preamp. Im not sure what they mean by zero latency monitoring as latency will largely depend on your system if you are listening to overdubs. That means they are blowing smoke up your ass, which is not good !

However, M-audio is reasonable kit and it is probably a good starting point though you may find it quite limiting very quickly. In my mind this is a good reason to get what you want straightaway with out the extra expense of countless upgrades.

I spent 200 USD on my first pre (ART TPS) which was followed by a another 100 for a Beheringer Voice Master Pro.

With in 6 months I had upgraded to a Focusrite single channel Platinum Voice Master Pro (700 + Analogue to digital converter S/P DIF out card).

Could I here a difference ?

YES !

You probably also want to think about the microphone you are going to use. There is little point running a Neuman or a Blue bottle through this puppy however it will probably be fine for an SM57 or SM58
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.