Help!!!

rob b.
rob b.
10/12/2004 8:01 pm
Ok here's the problem... I'm thinking of selling a guitar on ebay, but it doesn't have a hardshell case. I'm not going to go out and buy one just to ship it in either. But I don't want it to get damaged in shipping. Have any ideas on how to package it up so it gets to it's new owner in 1 piece?

Also, has anybody bought a guitar from ebay that didn't come with a hardshell case??? How was it packaged???

Thanx
"It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself." ~ J.S. Bach
# 1
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/12/2004 8:35 pm
Here are some tips from Ed Roman Guitars:

People are always asking me how to pack a guitar. The three biggest mistakes that most people make are:

Make sure the Tremolo Bar is securely wrapped up in a small amount of bubble pack or newspaper. If you don't do this the tremolo bar will fall out of the compartment during shipping and scrape up your guitar. Also it's a good idea to make sure there are no tools or itsy bitsy screws anywhere in the case.
DO NOT LOOSEN ALL THE STRINGS!!! This is always a major hassle. I get an average of 5 used guitars shipped to me daily. It is a lot easier for me to check the guitar out if I don't have to do a setup first. By loosening the strings as much as people do they usually blow the setup. Sometimes even bridge saddles fall out and cause damage to the guitar. Gibson, Fender, PRS, Hamer, Ibanez, Heritage, Washburn, Ibanez, Jackson and all the other companies ship guitars to me perfectly in tune right out of the case. Vintage guitar dealers and other trunk gypsy types always loosen the strings. This way they can get out of doing a setup on the guitar before they ship it to you.
DO NOT TRUST LOOSE STYROFOAM SHIPPING BEANS/PEANUTS. Loose Styrofoam beans are useless for shipping anything delicate. They always settle to the bottom and basically offer very little protection against anything. Bubble pack is the best bet. Even wadded up newspaper is better than beans.
Shipping a guitar is easy as long as you use common sense and a lot of bubble pack.

It's good to make sure the guitar cannot move inside the case. Usually a little bubble pack at the headstock area will solve any movement problems.
Make sure the case does not flop around inside the shipping box. That will cause a real lot of damage.
If you are shipping a guitar without a case (No Problem) just MAKE SURE you use a lot of Bubble pack taped securely around the instrument. 3 layers at least and maybe a little cardboard in between the layers on sharp corners or at the headstock.
Usually most music stores have boxes they are throwing out or have to get rid of, so that's a good place to go get a box. I always advise my customers to always keep a couple of good boxes around for when they need to ship something. With all the no personality superstores opening up all over, shipping guitars will become a required way of life for anyone who wants to own any guitar that may be even slightly out of the norm.
Always insure the guitar for more than it's worth in case it gets broken or lost. Be careful because UPS and FedEx won't pay claims when they deem the guitar was packed incorrectly, so make sure you use plenty of bubble pack.
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/12/2004 9:03 pm
The bass I bought on eBay came in a cardboard box with bubblewrap and sealed with gaffer tape. It survived no problem, but then again, it was only worth a coupla hundred bucks. Don't think I'd want to take the chance on a decent guitar.
# 3
rob b.
rob b.
10/13/2004 2:07 pm
Thanks for the info guys. I would probably use the bubble wrap anyway... I just see how a lot of my packages from UPS come in and it would just make me worry on what the package looks like when it gets to the customer.
"It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself." ~ J.S. Bach
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/15/2004 3:19 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Do [u]not[/u] slack off the strings!

Pack the guitar with the strings tuned up properly. Otherwise the setup will be ruined by the bumps and vibration it gets subjected to along the way.

I've had two guitars shipped to me by eBay sellers, and both arrived still in tune and ready to play. Bubble wrap is a wonderful thing.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.