View post (tone and why I aint got any)

View thread

raymond james
raymond james
05/18/2001 5:51 am
I have found that the greatest tone in the world comes somewhere between your fingers and your soul. The way you touch the strings, the way you grip the neck are the greatest facters to one's tone. I can pick up any guitar and when I play it, my tone, my voice and my soul shine through. Now I don't want to come across as some spaced out guitar guru, what I'm trying to say is be yourself. Alot of people I have taught that have had tone troubles had problems because they were trying to recreate some one else's tone, and not trying to find there own voice. That is easy to fall into, we all have our heroes. That maybe the trouble the may not be the problem. Other factor's in the tone is the cables, they can wear in little time and muddy up your sound. So then again it could be beat up cables. Another thing to do could be clean up your amp a little, spray some electro-dust gunk out in there and clean it out. Check your guitar out make sure all points on the guitar that has contact with the strings are solidly in place and everything is fastened down tightly. Sometimes rolling the sound on the guitar back a little will add to a beefer tone, I know that if you roll the sound back on a tele you can find a special spot and make it sound like a les paul. The only other thing I could say would be play very smooth it can add to a warm tone if your not getting to choppy. I hope you have luck with your problem.