View post (Hey LATS! V-Specs?)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/21/2004 3:42 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonJust in case Lord takes too long...can't you take measurements at a local guitar store?
[font=trebuchet ms]Yeah, sure, the staff would be delighted to have you take their $1000 V off the rack to measure it up for a bit of copying! :p

I just got home from work, and I'm kinda burnt, but I can have a go at it tomorrow. The dimensions are pretty close to the Gibson, including the neck layback, but it's a neck-through design with the controls mounted from the rear. There's no cheesy pick guard covering most of the front. The stock bridge is a Leo Quann Badass wrap-around stop-bar type which I intend to replace with something I'll machine myself when I can get access to a mill. It's all maple except for the rosewood fretboard, so the tone is amazing! My only disappointment is the neck-heavy balance. If I use a slippery strap, the head dives for the floor. I use a wide cloth strap to slow it down. My new bridge design is based on a large brass block set into the body. That will add a pound or two to the body to even out the balance, while adding the tone and sustain of string-through-body layout. If I was building from scratch, I would make the body at least 1/4" thicker, to accomodate push-pull pots. Bear in mind that I've been palying an 8 lb, 11oz. Yamaha SBG for the last 20 years, so to me, a heavy guitar is normal. The neck is very wide, and quite thick. I like it that way. I find my fretting hand is more relaxed when it's wrapped around a substantial neck, instead of pinching some wispy lil' thang.

I suspect it will be easiest to take a bunch of photos and Photoshop some dimensions on them for you.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons