what scale /mode should I use?

trendslayer
trendslayer
07/06/2000 4:23 am
Ok i've been playing guitar for about a year now, i have no knowledge of theory at all but i'm in a band now and i need some help...here goes ok... In this song i use an E5 G5 and F5 chord...I'm in the key of e minor right? if i'm wrong correct me. I need to solo in this song and I need to know what key and scale or mode to use for it... this is a slayer/metallica type song so i need something with potential to be badass. Thanks for reading my post and any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks a lot.
# 1
trendslayer
trendslayer
07/06/2000 4:52 am
Why does the F5 mean I should use Phyrgian? I like the way it sounds over my riff but i'm trying to learn theory and i want to know why. But i really like the way the Bb5 sounds with the Lorcrian, so can you could also explain the tritones and how they work...thanks alot...keep the terms simple if possible i'm not big on theory just yet...thanks a lot
# 2
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/06/2000 5:11 am
You are in the key of E minor; a very common metal key. Most solos are in the aeolian or pentatonic scales, but because you play an F5 power chord, that means you should use E Phrygian, an exotic, mmiddle-eastern, yet evil mode.

Go here to see the shape for phrygian:
http://pages.prodigy.net/aj5000

If you really want evil, use Locrian, and throw a Bb5 (B flat) power chord into the progression. From E to Bb is a diminished 5th (or a tritone), the most evil interval of them all. They used to hang minstrels in medieval times for playing it in front of the king...
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 3
Willdridge
Willdridge
07/06/2000 5:37 pm
The F5 makes it an E Phrygian because the it is the second note of the E Phrygian scale. Basically, phrygian is the third mode of a MAJOR scale...E is the third note of the C Major Scale..This means, with the progression, you could play any note found within the C Major Scale (C D E F G A or B) and it would sound right...however, because of tension in music, it's better for a listeners ears if there is a tone centre...in this case, it'd probably be E, so by targeting or starting off on an E your solos will sound more at rest...
All you do is play the C Major scale, BUT you START from the E..So instead of (C D E F G A B), you play (E F G A B C D)...exactly the same notes, but from a different starting postion...
Take your time, read through this a few times...Modes are difficult AT FIRST, but once you've managed to get your head around it them become the keys to whole new doors in your playing....
Sorry if all I've done is confuse things...

[This message has been edited by Willdridge (edited 07-06-2000).]
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 4
KingB
KingB
07/13/2000 5:44 am
Trendslayer, dude, just take some time out of your schedule and take some theory, it doesn't have to be at the PHD level, but it makes everything so much easier, trust me on that one.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.