View post (Dealing with frustration...)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
03/01/2001 11:19 pm
For the most part alot of guitarists today feel the need to ignore anything that has to do with jazz,[/] feeling its just an excuse for guitarists to show off, (but theres more to this style of music than meets the eye (or ear for that matter.) There are so many hidden jazz elements throughout the rock industry, it definitely adds a little bit of flavor to what would be considered your adverage progression, alot of musicians [i]unconsciously add this element to their songs and they refuse to analyze where it came from. But when you can consciously add new jazz chord voicings to your style, it really speaks wonders and really has a way defining your style. Applying new found knowledge to your familiar territory is how we grow as musicians, its mind boggleing why so many musicians refuse to take all of the necessary chances to reach a higher level of creativity.

Aside from jazz chord voicings, theres this one Soundgarden solo from Superunknown that I just can't seem to get right, I can't seem to achieve the same effect that Kim Thayil gets. I consider myself to be an accomplished musician from all sides, (and I definitely major when it comes to guitar), but I'm not quite sure if its that I'm hearing something else, but there are certain hidden elements in this particular solo that I just can't seem to collect. And theres nothing more frustrating when you can't match the sound that you hear off of one of your favorite records, (or in our head.) But I guess there are just some mysteries that are worth bending over backwards for, :D.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."