An outstanding deal!

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/23/2004 8:30 pm
I just received a Pinnacle 3-guitar stand that I bought from Music123. For a mere $25 + shipping, I got a high-quality stand that works well with one, two, or three guitars on it. I've got a professional-quality On-Stage Stands double that I paid $60 for twenty years ago, and I have to say that this new Pinnacle triple looks to be just as well made. At this price, I'd recommend buying it even if you only have 1 or 2 guitars.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/24/2004 12:04 am
Sweet!

I'm sure all of us will be happy... since those daisy rock guitars r flyin like hotcakes... and we need places to put 'em!
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/24/2004 12:47 am
Yeha may have to get 2 !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/24/2004 1:03 am
on a more serious note I have one of these and it is great !
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/24/2004 7:52 am
I considered that one, but I was struck by the fact that there's nothing to positively locate the bottom of the guitar body. Then I read the reviews, and, sure enough, an unhappy owner was carping about how some of his guitars would twist out of place, and then drop through the frame on to the floor. Since I usually take only two or three axes to a jam, the Pinnacle triple suited me just fine.

On the other hand, if I was still giging regularly, I would definitely get one of these Warwick 7 stands. Notice the bumper strips that separate the guitar bodies from each other, and also prevent them from turning. I have seen these racks in use, and they are a really well-designed and built piece of kit.

But, for $25, the Pinnacle triple is the ticket for most players.

What I want now, is a 20-foot guitar cord that can shrug off being stepped on all day (by players who really should know better), with really effective strain relief at the connectors (for when the stupid clod that's been stepping on my cord finally trips on it :mad: ), for a price of less than $50! The fools that offer me $100 cables haven't figured out that I'd rather go wireless than buy 3 or 4 cords at that price!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 5
kingdavid
kingdavid
07/24/2004 11:16 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings...The fools that offer me $100 cables haven't figured out that I'd rather go wireless than buy 3 or 4 cords at that price!

How good is wireless, as opposed to physical cords?
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/24/2004 11:53 am
Yes Sir you do have to be careful with the big old guitar rack stand, however as it is only me that ever goes any where near it, it suits me well and so far, no dings !

Have you checked out the Monster 500 guitar and bass cables. I treated my self to one of each (how decadent). They may not do everything but they feel and sound really solid !
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/24/2004 5:44 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavidHow good is wireless, as opposed to physical cords?
It depends... 'n it depends.

Cables, especially long ones, tend to colour the sound. Typically, the longer the cable, the more loss of high frequencies. I like using cables 20 - 25 feet long, so I can wander around a bit. reduced clarity & definition can be an issue at that length.

Wireless can add noise, introduce delay, change your EQ, and it sometimes adds local radio stations to your music!

In either case, quality counts.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/24/2004 7:17 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon... Have you checked out the Monster 500 guitar and bass cables. I treated my self to one of each (how decadent). They may not do everything but they feel and sound really solid !
hmm... Monster Performer 500 Rock cable...

[font=trebuchet ms]21 ft. = US$49.99 (1 cent under budget, + shipping).

I run an EMI/RFI test lab, remember? Most of that schpiel looks like darkest BS to me.

95% shielding is considered 'good', not wonderful, in my world. Note that copper does not block magnetic emissions, like transformer noise. And unless it's plated with something like nickel, or preferably silver, it soon corodes, losing it's effectiveness.

EMI stands for ElectroMagnetic Interference. RFI stands for Radio Frequency Interference. They aren't nearly as separate as the Product Overview seems to imply.

Carbon infusion is a process that creates a path for draining off static electricity by making the insulation between the centre conductor and the shield slightly conductive. Which means it's less of an insulator. If it's done right, it may work OK, but I would expect to see some roll-off at high frequencies.

Iso-Tec?? 'Sounds like VooDoo Tec to me.

Duralex outer jacket - this could be good. After using a cable, you can see how much dust and grit gets ground into the jacket.
You do wipe them off after each use, don't you?

Gold plating on contacts is a cosmetic thing. Microwave RF cables that cost thousands of dollars use silver plating, because the tarnish that forms (silver oxide) is just as conductive as the original silver. Such cables can perform well for twenty years without special attention. But gold looks sexier.

A collet is a tapered fitting that squeezes the cable evenly all the way around to anchor firmly. This is a good way to ensure that the cable will resist attempts to pull it out of the connector. But it doesn't protect against the stresses that occur when a cable is pulled at a sharp angle to the connector body. A common remedy for this kind of abuse is a heavy spring that extends back from the connector body around the cable. The spring provides some resistance to these off-axis stresses, and also prevents kinking at the connector, by imposing a smooth radius on the cable bend.

Multiple Time Correct Windings. Here's an example of the kind of BS that corrupts the high-end audio business. You can measure this stuff with some sophisticated test gear, but there's no way for human beings to actually hear these effects! A similar point is the Hi-Fi buzz about getting extremely accurate response at frequencies above 20 kHz. A 10 kHz sinusoidal waveform (pure tone) looks very different from a 10 kHz square wave on an oscilloscope screen, but no-one can hear the difference. A square wave has a lot of odd-order harmonic content (3rd, 5th, 7th, etc,) which distorts the original pure sinewave to the point that it becomes square. The kicker is that these harmonics start with the 3rd, at 30 kHz, well beyond human hearing. Your cat might hear the difference, but you can't.

Micro fibre inner dielectric. This would be the dielectric that has the carbon infusion for pop reduction, yes? There is no non-metalic material that effectively shields against magnetic fields. There are only two other defenses - cancellation and separation. Cancellation is achieved by twisting a pair of wires so that the field created by the current flowing in one direction along the hot wire cancels the field created by the current flowing in the opposite direction on the return wire. Another technique is to run one wire through the centre of the other conductor. This positions both fields on the same axis (co-axial) but in opposite directions. Separation is achieved by physically locating the wires as far from each other as possible. Any material can do this for you.

I used to make my own cables with coaxial RF cable and Switchcraft connectors. The cable itself was never meant to handle the kind of abuse it gets in the music world, and I haven't yet found a strain relief system that will withstand a 300 lb bassist in full-on trip mode! :eek:

Bottom line? I use Yorkville GC-20C90 cables. The connectors are pretty good (though not gold). The rubber collar they use for relief of bending stress is only about 1/2 inch long, but it's much better than nothing at all. The rubber jacket on the cable picks up lots of dust and grit, but it wipes off. I have no idea what kind of cable is inside, and I don't care. It sounds good, I don't get handling noises, and I can't hear any phase-funnies that need 'time-correct' remedies. Any cable will die eventually. That's where the lifetime warranty comes in, although I've never used it. Cables seem to slink off into some nebulous other dimension, and I've replaced a lot of missing cables, but I've never replaced a worn-out one. Price for a 20-foot cable? I wait till they're on sale for $30 Canadian (about US$22). And I buy locally - no shipping cost or delay.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/24/2004 10:38 pm
I can't argue with any of that other than to say I will check out Yorkville GC-20C90 cables next time round ! Like many things in the audio business, I think that once you pass a certain threshold the only difference is packaging !

I to have a problem with cables disappearing, I think they are following the odd socks and biros into another dimension. Didn't Zaphod Beevlebrox once discover where all the missing Biros (like a cheap roller-ball pen) migrate to and made a fortune in the second had pen business ?
# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/25/2004 12:44 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simon... Didn't Zaphod Beevlebrox once discover where all the missing Biros (like a cheap roller-ball pen) migrate to and made a fortune in the second had pen business ?
I think that's how he got the seed money for his account at The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/25/2004 12:58 am
Neat trick, must try it some time !
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.