Yamaha AES420?

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/30/2004 1:26 pm

Reading Lordathestrings rave about vintage Yamaha SBGs reminded me of this guitar that I saw in a Yamaha store.... a beautiful LP-style solid body guitar, with an even more beautiful deep (but not dark) blue flame job. I'm pretty sure that it was an AES420.

Any comments? How would you say this stacks up against the old SBGs? The one I saw came loaded with a pair of Seymour Duncan humbuckers.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/30/2004 2:49 pm
You have to try it out. I rave about Yamaha guitars because I like them, but that's still just my opinion. And Yamaha has very good quality control, but that doesn't mean that every model is going to be one that you want to own. Guitar selection should be made with your ears and mind open, and your eyes shut!

Having said that...

The body contours look comfortable. I like the control placement. One thing that made my Strat such a bitch to play was the volume knob sitting so close to the bridge that I kept fragging my knuckles on it. This Yamaha locates the master tone and volume pots well out of the way. The neck looks to be fairly wide at the nut, which makes it easy to play open chords. And Seymor Duncan pickups have a good reputation, although that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll like this particular pair.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.